Hughes & Kettner Statesman??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kebotrans, Feb 7, 2008.

1. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

Does anybody have experience with this amp yet. I have alway liked H&K but just wanted to see if anybody had actually got to play one. Opinions?

2. MartinC

MartinC Member

Me too ... I've read a magazine review (positive), heard clips on the H&K website (positive), and one short, mediocre quality youtube clip. But I'm yet to plug into one ... though the specs fit what I'm looking for ... the QUAD EL84 that is.

I've played the Edition Tube 20th Anniversary (2 EL84 twin channel combo) ... liked it a lot. Really nice feel. Just not a huge step up from my Classic 30.

I've played the Duotone 50w combo ... liked it a lot. Amazing cleans, very versatile, and packed with features, but fairly pricey ... and I found a tiny bit harsh on the ear at higher volumes (maybe the V30).

:munch

3. MartinC

MartinC Member

4. auratnik

auratnik Supporting Member

I had 20th Anniversary combo and was in love with the amp. I mean I can't believe that so many guitarist overlook this amazing amp company. So much better in sound and construction quality than the most popular brands out there.
    Now I play Statesman dual 84 for a few months and it's very beautiful amp, construction and feel is top class. I use only clean channel and it shine in versality and it takes pedals great. Drive channel is very nice too but I prefer pedals I think. Highly recommended top class amp with very boutique like details in sound!!!

5. MartinC

MartinC Member

Uncanny, there I go using my fake inspector Clouseau french accent ... and up pops a french clip of a Statesman

Happened to be googling for prices, and this popped up ... I'd searched youtube for clips already, but only found a short dodgy one. This one is 4.5 minutes and sound is as good as it gets for youtube. Just gotta put up with the french commentary ... no offence intended to french speaking readers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EqG52YlxWo

6. auratnik

auratnik Supporting Member

Great sound representation! This is really one great amp for many different styles, well metal is not included this time. :JAM

7. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I heard the Statesman at NAMM and I liked it. It seems like a nice amp for its price point.

The Youtube video seems to give a good idea of its capabilities. Lots of nice features. The OD side would work well for a tone of rock and blues tone...just not metal.

It is priced at about 1000 or more less than the Duotone combo, which has a more modern flavor.

8. MartinC

MartinC Member

Which one did you hear at NAMM? Dual EL84, Quad EL84, 2x12 6L6 or EL34 head? How would it compare to the likes of a HRD, Peavey Classic 50, Crate 3112, Genz Benz Black Pearl (these are fairly similar price point amps in Australia). How would it compare to the more expensive EL84 amps ... Badger, Mesa 5:25, etc. I'm asking about tone comparisons more than features.

Sorry! Lots of questions, and you may well have just been passing the H&K stand and happened to catch a little demo! But if you don't ask, you don't get.

Oh, and if you happen to have ever heard or played a H&K Edition Tube 20th Anniversary, how would the Statesman EL84's compare tone-wise to that amp

Would appreciate your thoughts as I can't find dealers who currently have any of the Statesman range in stock.

Thanks.

9. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I can't really compare to those other amps. I just remember that it sounded good, and not as modern as my H&K Duotone. I went by the booth when people were playing through the Statesman models a few times over the course of two days.

I think that it may cover some similar tones to the Black Pearl, but I have not really listened to recent PV Classics, Crates etc.

Sorry I cannot help more.

10. MartinC

MartinC Member

OK ... thanks. If you're a Duotone owner and you thought it sounded good then I trust your ears! If the Statesman is more vintage sounding than your Duotone then that too is good information and makes the Statesman sound more like my cup of tea ... I really like the Duotone (never played a clean channel with so much sustain before!), but for the stuff I play a less modern sound is good.

Thanks again

11. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

I liked it at NAMM when Brett Garsed and some other guys were demoing it. I looked inside and saw only two 12 AX7s. Too much gain for all tube gain and spring verb. Turns out it has a solid state driver for the gain channel. All that said, I dug it!

12. MartinC

MartinC Member

So does that mean it's like a tube pre-amp and poweramp, with a built in OD pedal in front?

I just checked the H&K website ... turns out the whole Switchblade range and whole Statesman range and the Tube Edition 20th Anniversary all have only 2 preamp tubes. They're all described as "all tube". Could there be any other explanation, apart from that they all have solid state circuits in their gain channels? That sounds like another thread to me ... I'll post it.

13. Emiel

Emiel Member

I have been a owner of the Statesman Dual EL84 now and I'm totally happy with it.

I did not buy it without testing it of course. I compared it with the following amps:
    - Fender Blues Junior
    - Marshall DSL401
    - Marshall TSL601
    - Orange Rocker 30 Combo
    - Vox AC15

First of all, the clean channel of the H&K sounds very much like the Vox. It's creamy, fat, organic and very responding to your way of playing. The amp is dynamic in a great way. I often jam with friends and when a friend plays my guitar through my Statesman, it sounds very different. You'll have to work well to get a nice sound I think, which makes it encouraging to play. My Edwards Les Paul has a hot JB in the bridge position, and on higher volumes it's still pretty clean. Mind that the JB is a very loud pickup, my friends Epiphone Les Paul is a lot quieter! You will have to turn the volume knob a bit lower... I might change the JB for a more vintage pickup... not that I don't like the JB :)

Anyway, there's a nice feature on the clean channel, the TWANG button. It turns the Voxish sounding clean into a Fender clean. One of my previous amps was an USA Blues Deluxe and yes they were in fact quite close. The TWANG button is a really helpful tool...

The overdrive channel is very nice too. On lowish gain levels it sounds pretty much like old Marshall Plexi's, it has lots of balls, crunchy but it also has somewhat of a Vox Top Boost, it's not as agressive sounding as Marshalls, it's top end is more like Voxes. Which I love, because Marshall often sound too 'nasal' for me. If you turn the gain knob over 50% you'll get what I think more or the less a sound very similar to '80s rock.

Then you push the BOOST switch on the pedal switch and there you've got a Gary Moore like tone. Instant sustain, FAT, creamy, really nice. The boost is a boost of mids and it also gives you slightly more gain. Ideal for a soloboost :)

I use a Strat and a Les Paul and both of them work brilliantly with the H&K. Although it's a 20 watt amp, it's quite loud. And of course, how louder you set it how more beautiful it sounds. It really is a dynamic amp with both a great clean channel and overdrive channel. Last thing, since the amp has a half-closed back (you can see just a bit of the speaker) it is a powerful amp. It sounds bigger than you would expect.

The H&K sounds incredibly warm and it in fact very dynamic. What's wrong with "only" 2 preamp tubes? I don't care... I love it.

14. MartinC

MartinC Member

I just bought one of these ... the Quad EL84 40w combo. Very happy. I've captured a few early thoughts in the following thread if you're keen to read some more. It pretty much agrees with Emiel's post above on the Dual EL84:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=357984

15. 85db

85db Member

These were supposed to become available in the USA in Jan 2008. Wonder how late will these be to the show.

16. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

I was wondering if anyone played the el-34 head yet?

17. MartinC

MartinC Member

I stood 3 feet away from an EL34 head and matching 4x12 when I was trying/buying my Quad EL84. I didn't dare plug in as I'd only recently come to my senses ...

all I really need is a 1x12 ...

18. 85db

85db Member

As to the USA, I don't think EL-34's have made it here just yet. Not a lot of stores selling EL-84 models either.

19. Zeymatis

Zeymatis Member

Just bought me self a H&K 6L6 combo after trying the dual el34 which i fell in love with .

I origianlly went in to try some Fenders but i thought the H&K were a much better sound . So far ive managed to have a couple of hours at home trying various guitars and just love everything about it .

Got a proper voloume rehearsal on monday so ill try and let you know as soon as possible what this amp really sounds like at gig volumes

Adios ,Rob

20. 85db

85db Member

Which did you fall in love with, the 6l6 or the el34 version? Where are you? I haven't seen those models for sale in the USA just yet.