Hula Blues

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by slackandsteel, Jan 9, 2006.

1. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

In addition to standard guitar, I play lap steel in the Hawaiian style of the "Golden Age of Hawaiian Music" - the 30s and 40s (though some will argue it was earlier than that!). I know that this is probably something that a lot of folks around these parts might not be interested in, but it still contains the elements we treasure most - musicality, rhythm, tone and taste.

So if you are interested, please check out the tone of my 1947 Rickenbacher (they spelled it that way back then!) solid body bakelite 6 string lap steel on the classic "Hula Blues"

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3291783&q=hi

2. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

I ABSOLUTLY LOVE IT!!! Brought a smile to my face. :D

Peace,
    Duffy

3. smallcrap

smallcrap Member

That was really cool. I liked it alot.

I recently started tinkering with some lap steel stuff on a friend's home-made lap steel. Do you have any reccomendations of music for this type of stuff? I'm also interested in picking up a lap slide, the old Fenders are getting pretty expensive though. Any advice?

4. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

Thanks guys for the compliments!

Smallcrap - recommendations for lap steel listening? For rock, I'd check out David Lindley (the stuff he did with Jackson Browne is amazing), Ben Harper, and Junior Brown. The "Sacred Steel" music that comes out of the House Of God church tradition can really boogie - I like the "Sacred Steel Convention" live CDs on Arhoolie for that, and anything by the Campbell Brothers. For Hawaiian, there's so many greats...Sol Hoopii, Jules Ah See, Jerry Byrd are just a few names. A nice lap steel CD compilation is "Legends of the Incredible Lap Steel Guitar" on Horserock Records.

As far as an instrument, there are lots of choices...6 string, 8 string, vintage, new etc. The old Supros are great and you can get them on eBay for a few hundred. They have a pickup that can really scream (Ry Cooder uses that pickup on his modded Strat for slide). Fenders are great but pricey. The old Rickys are great also.

For more info, check out this great website dedicated to lap steel:

http://www.well.com/user/wellvis/steel.html

5. smallcrap

smallcrap Member

Thanks for the great info slackandsteel. I'm into Harper, I'll look into the others you mentioned. John Butler Trio is cool too if you haven't heard of them.

Can you recommend any books or videos or are you self taught - just curious? What tuning was your clip in? I know there's lots of stuff on the web - maybe you can help me stay clear of the junk. Don't mean to bombard you, just interested. Thanks again.

6. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

Thanks for the tip on John Butler. I'll check him out.

My advice on lap steel is to find someone who knows what they're doing and show you basics first at least. Then check out the videos etc. There's also a great steel guitar website, steelguitarforum.com Go to the "No Peddlers" section of threads on non-pedal steel and you'll find a lot of answers you are looking for.

The tuning I used on that was popular back in the 30's and 40s. They called it "C#m" but it's basically an E6 tuning. It's spelled E B E G# C# E from lowest to highest string. It's not that common anymore to use this tuning.

7. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

So refreshing!
    Great playing, tone
    And all those 6th voicings... sweet
    I couldn't make out if those are 3 note or 4 note voicings.
    Was trying them in standard tuning... gotta have that maj 2 in there.
    Almost makes me want to try poi again :)

Harry Jacobson
    www.harry.net

8. gururyan

gururyan Member

Loved it.
    I have got to stop dinking around and get an old lap steel.

EDIT:
    On my 6th straight listen in a row, sure that number will grow.

9. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

Thanks guys! Harry, those are mostly 3 note clusters. I play with a thumb pick and 2 finger picks, which is pretty standard.

I took up lap steel about 10 years ago after playing standard for about 25 years. Man, was that a humbling experience! Learning how to play with a bullet bar, fingerpicks, palm and finger blocking, muting, harmonics etc did not come easy for me, but I was determined to get proficient at it, and pretty much have concentrated on the steel since then.

It's very easy to sound REALLY BAD on steel guitar, out of tune, lots of wierd noises, etc. But once you taste that freedom of not having frets, it's really liberating. It's such a unique instrument...every player sounds different on it. It really translates your emotions as you play it as literally all of the sound is in your hands in a way that I don't find as much on standard guitar.

10. Allamricn

Allamricn Member

WOW, I just love that style :dude I'm another one with a huge smile from beginning to end. Great job !!

11. Boogs

Boogs Member

12. russ6100

russ6100 Member

Great take slackandsteel!

I still kick myself for not grabbing an old Gibson lap steel that we had in the family years ago....

Looked just like this:

[​IMG]

Russ
    http://www.russletson.com

13. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

Russ, that's a 50s Gibson Ultratone. Not the greatest tone in the world, but very cool deco styling. Gibson actually had this line of steels designed by a Chicago design firm.

14. aquadog

aquadog Member

15. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

Nice playing, feel, and intonation. I like it a lot!!

16. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

wow-ya-great playin'-tone!-i was scoring something last year-and this style is exactly what i needed-and i didnt really know what "it" was!!!!!

thanx-now i know!

17. Normster

Normster Member

Wow, what a joy to listen to!!! Like a breath of fresh air.

18. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

I was a bit nervous about posting a Hawaiian steel guitar tune on this forum, but you folks have sure been supportive! I hope to get some time to record another one pretty soon.

If you are interested in knowing more about lap steel, there's a great book out by Andy Volk called "Lap Steel Guitar" that I highly recommend. You can find it on Amazon. It has many interviews with steel guitarists of all genres of music (Hawaiian, rock, Cajun, Western Swing etc) and some seriously great color photos of lap steels.

If you are interested specifically in Hawaiian steel guitar, check out "The Hawaiian Steel Guitar (and it's great Hawaiian musicians) by Lorene Ruymar, also available at Amazon.

Lastly, there is an organization that I belong to called the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association (HSGA) whose charter is to promote the Hawaiian steel guitar and Hawaiian music:

http://hsga.org/

19. scottl

scottl Member

Argh! Soundclick is now a restricted site at my work. Damn. Thsi sucks... I'll need to wait till I get home (unless a direct link is posted) Wink.

20. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member