Hum and My New Studio Space

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mister Natural, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

just pulling my hair out here . . . :confused:
    I can record totally clean fairly well but, add just a bit of gain and the HUM becomes unbearably loud.
    When I switch to my Tele's Lace bridge PU, the bridge Duncan double-coil or the humbuckers of my Parker - totally silent. I've moved any and all wall-wart power supplies as well as the APC power conditioner as far away from the guitar cable as possible. Just bought a E-Harmonix Hum Debug box and that's also useless. Seems like the only remaining answer is to swap-out the single coils in my Fenders.
    1. Do you cats have any other brilliant ideas on how to fix ?
    2. If I do go "humless" pickups, what brands/models do you recco ?

peace

71strat likes this.
  2. cram

cram Member

Does the amp guitar combo do the same on another system? These tend to come down to A/B tests. Maybe your other guitars are hiding a problem as they're not sensitive to the interference (or double ground)? Hard saying not knowing. All the best luck in this one.

3. 71strat

71strat Member

If its the single coils, hook up the Ilitch Noise reduction Pickguard/Backplate. Its not cheap but is the only real remedy to eliminating the hum, and still allowing me to use my single coils.

I use the Ilitch with my original 65-66 Strat pups, in a Partscaster. I spared no expense on the PC.

I got the Backplate, but when I got mine the Pickguard wasn't available. I would go PG now.

[​IMG]

4. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Dimarzio VV pickups.
    67 Neck
    61 Middle
    Virtual Solo for Bridge.

Mister Natural likes this.
  5. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

thanks thus far - keep those cards & letters coming, folks !

- so frustrating as my old house/studio was dead silent . . . with the same gear

6. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I'd be looking at the house wiring or lighting, since it was dead quiet eleswhere.

scolfax likes this.
  7. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

I have the same problem in my studio. All my single coil guitars are noiseless now . I gave up trying to fix the problem many years ago as noiseless pickups fixed the problem. The Dimarzios sound very vintage like. Most people will agree. Some don't like them and the debate on noiseless vs stock will always continue like maple vs rosewood and nitro vs poly. Unfortunately you gotta try them out for your self.

Lots of great noiseless pickups out there. Lots of folks love the Dimarzio VV and Kinmans.

Good luck

8. vintagelove

vintagelove Member

As a former studio owner I can tell you these issues can be very hard and expensive to diagnose.

A couple simple things.

No new style light bulbs, get the old fashioned ones.
    Dimmers are a no no
    Spin around in a circle to find the quietest orientation

If you can cut off all the power, and you have a battery powered amp, you can use this like a metal detector to help find the culprit. If the noise increases as you approach something, that's your culprit, or at least a contributing factor.

Hope that helps.

scolfax likes this.
  9. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

Yep - have done that and there is one compass-direction that I can position the Strat to face that is nearly hum-less. If I vice-grip in and don't move . . .

10. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

I'm reading (glowing)reviews of the Duncan VV models and they recco stepping up the pots on the instrument from standard 250ohm to 500ohms - Did you do this ?
    How about the Lace Holy Grails ? Anyone use these successfully ?

11. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

You mean Dimarzio VV right ?

I use 250k pots. 500k would make them to bright I would think.

12. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

13. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Flourescent lights? They can be a problem. For a studio, maybe you are better off buying a high end power supply than changing your guitars?

14. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Be sure to plug your Guitar amp, and pedals into 1 outlet. = Using multiple outlets cause ground loops.

15. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

Not sure if you're using a laptop or desk top to record but I usually find I need to lift the ground on laptops to get rid of noise in conjunction with the rest of my gear regardless of location.

16. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

^ thanks gents
    yeah, like I said; I've tried all of these trix . . .

17. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

That can drive you crazy. Ten years ago I rebuilt my whole house, doubled it's square footage, new plumbing, ALL NEW ELECTRIC from the pole down, etc...my old house was noisy as hell.
    So is my new one. It's the transformer out in front of my house. There's no fix in my case...except the Illich system and I've not tried that yet. Hope you have better luck than me.