1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

hum-canceling TRUE single-coil guitar pickup

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by zekewonderdog, May 19, 2017.

a TRUE single coil pickup that cancels hum would be...

1. Meh. So what? There are already lots of options.

2. AMAZING!!! I want one now!!!!

3. A good idea. Sounds interesting, but I need to know more.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. goodkungfu

goodkungfu Member

OP has given more than enough rope to hang himself if he has been BSing but I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. Husky will put it though its paces soon enough. I'm interested to hear the results.

Namaste. ;-)

2. james...

james... Member

Yeah, I think this can only end one of two ways. Very favorably for the OP or really badly.

Seems like he does know what he has. I just hope all this fuss isn't over nothing at all.

I do admit I find it hard to believe that he's figured out something that literally none of the dozens of pro pickup makers have done yet.

3. Madguitrst

Madguitrst Member

third stone from the sun, one step from the edge
    You just made me think and I believe I have figured it out.

The figure of eight is done on one coil top and bottom going in different directions.
    That IS simple (if that is the case).

The winding pattern would change though so some tinkering might need to be done to sound as close as possible to the PU being "cloned".

I agree OP with your targeted customers.
    However, the PU makers who you would lisence to could simply tinker if need be....it would be probably just be splitting hairs at that point.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  4. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

You ought to hear my teaching studio where I give classes, has one stinkin' outlet in a 7' X 8' room with 4' fluorescent bulbs which are in the whole building/plaza. All the teaching rooms in the building have this dirty power that hums like crazy. In the tiny room there's an alarm, laptop, modem, wifi, phone, One spot adapter ALL from one outlet. The hum is insane, I give lessons right in front of the laptop. Talk about hum from all this **** can be insane with any level of overdrive, hell even humbuckers seem to have noise. . But it's still no issue with the single coils. Just roll it down and it's a non issue, never noticed even for high gain and sustain. Was never an issue on gigs either, even with all those neon signs and lights.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  5. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

And for Reverends. I am saving to get one for my Six Gun.

6. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I would be interested if they sound great and are reasonably priced.

I tried a number of different pickups in my Strat. Fender hot noiseless, Zexcoil, GFS rails, maybe others I'm forgetting, and landed on the Dimarzio Area. This guitar is quite bright and with 500k pots it sounds really good and actually needs the tones rolled down some.

If money were no object I'd like to try the Kinman and Mojotones. But I've hit the point of being satisfied.

There's a lot of really good noiseless solutions out there around $80-100 per pickup so if you could get a very nice sounding pickup in the $50-60 range AND could actually deliver the product (Wilde...) you would have a big opportunity.

I think about a company like Tonerider which has well made Chinese humbuckers for $50 shipped. Nice corner of the market. But add a unique design and there could be much more demand.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  7. 83stratman

83stratman Member

Any more on this? I am very interested.

8. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

It behaved exactly as I expected it would.
    He has some more work to do.

GaryMcT likes this.
  9. RLD

RLD Member

The aforementioned drop out?

10. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Yes and low output on G but mostly D string, pickup was properly centered and as close to the strings as I feel comfortable. Dead zone between where the fields become null. He might not have heard it since he had it in the bridge where the spacing is wider and string doesn't move across from the dead zone as easily. I had it in the neck.

Man with Gas and ripgtr like this.
  11. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

I hope TGP is not the only place you gauge market trends by

12. angelsvictory

angelsvictory Supporting Member

13. zekewonderdog

zekewonderdog Member

I have a failsafe for the "dead zone", but didn't apply it to the pickup I sent to John, because it did not seem to need it. Perhaps that was because I had it in bridge position and he put it in neck. I do have the failsafe applied to my neck pickup, and it cures that issue. I'm not going to explain how its done (it's proprietary). I did discuss it with John (with an NDA) but he hasn't had the opportunity to see it firsthand.
    John, thank you for checking out the pickup, and for our email conversation. It was kind of a "trial by fire" but I think overall it was a positive experience.
    @Husky

Befuddled likes this.
  14. zekewonderdog

zekewonderdog Member

Of course not.

Befuddled likes this.
  15. Boski

Boski Member

Ultimax pickups are the best true single coil noiseless pickups so far. It's made in the Philippines and it sounds great.

Melon ball likes this.
  16. 83stratman

83stratman Member

Anymore development?

17. zekewonderdog

zekewonderdog Member

I set it aside for a while... I moved out of state, then was focused on developing another product I have a patent on: http://www.stringhammer.com
    But lately I've been working on it again, trying to put together the best version of it I can make, to take to market. I'm nearly there. Originally, I wasn't planning to make and sell these myself, but just license the patent. Because the level of skepticism seemed high, at least from the response here, I thought I'd start with getting them out there in the world myself to begin with, so people can hear and judge for themselves. Not long now... should be very soon.