Hum Help!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CALI68, May 20, 2008.

1. CALI68

CALI68 Member

My pedal board has a damn 60 cycle hum that goes away when I touch any of the George L connectors. I'm using a PP2+, all George L cables and I'm using a Furman to power it all. The hum is still there even with my Les Paul. :(

Signal chain is as follows:

in - Fulltone Clyde Wah - Chicago Iron Octavian - LP 200lbs of Tone - Landgraff DO - Timmy - 2 channel Loop Master ( CH 1 Small Clone, Analogman modded Boss Tremolo, EVH Phaser / CH2 LP Flametop Eternity which has no LED or 9v tp) - out

Please help!

Thanks!

-Chris

2. meterman

meterman Member

Check and tighten the screw on caps to your George L plugs. They get loose over time and will eventually buzz like you're talking about when one loses the ground connection. It can be quite harsh through a cranked amp and/or PA.

3. CALI68

CALI68 Member

All the cables are brand new and I tightened all of them really well.

-Chris

4. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

It may just be one cable that's giving you the noise. I trouble-shoot my GeorgeL's by using a pre-fab cable and switching it out with each GeorgeL one at a time. By doing this systematically, I can figure out which cable is giving me the trouble and re-screw it or whatever it needs.

Hope that helps.

5. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Thanks! I'll do that.

-Chris

6. Teahead

Teahead Member

I chased my own tail in a very similar fashion when using GeorgeL's, some folks have the knack for making them, some don't. Eventually I replaced them with lava cables and will never use solder free cables again.

7. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

You say the hum goes away when you touch the George L connectors right? What about when you touch the strings on your guitar? If the hum doesn't go away when you touch the strings but does when you touch the shield of the cables, then I'd be checking the earth connection in your guitar. There should be a connection from earth to the strings that should also be a direct connection to the shield of your George L's. This would also happen if one of the George L's hasn't been done up tight enough. Trouble shooting should be fairly easy, just touch the cables down the chain till you find one that doesn't hum. Don't be doing this whilst holding a mic tho

8. codeorama

codeorama Member

Check the location of your powersupply and your wah... I had the same thing happen and while talking to a tech guy at Keeley, he said it was common with Wah pedals. I moved my power supply further away and the hum was gone...