Hum-less P-90 in a Tele

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mr.mattphisto, Jan 31, 2006.

1. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

So I am thinking about putting a P-90 in the neck of a Fender Am Tele.

I am looking at the Seymour Duncan Stacked p-90, and I was wonderingif anyone has ever used one? In Series mode? SD cliaims that you can wiring it in series as well, to add mode gain!

I am to get one and put in a 4-way switch :AOK :dude

Any input is welcomed! Any other P-90's out there that you guys would recommend?

2. Nathan

Nathan Member

The Lace PS900 series are sidewinder P-90s. I couldn't get much info about them, but I do have a set which I haven't installed yet. I can't wait really. They'ree deeper thaqn a normal soapbar however. Then there's Bill Lawrence's pickups, which are essentially P-90 sized, just a tad less wide.

3. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

Thanks Nathan. I will take a look at those :RoCkIn

Any other suggestions?

Anyone used the SD Stacked P-90?

4. playon

playon Supporting Member

Get a Harmonic Design Z-90, the one he makes for the neck position is an awesome pickup. It's brighter and quieter than a P-90, a good thing IMO.

5. Paul86

Paul86 Member

Hey Nathan,
    What about those Laces PS900? I'm really curious about them. I'm considering them for a Les Paul type build. Any opinions? How about some clips?

6. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

I love Filtertrons in the neck of Teles

specifically www.tvjones.com and they make one in a P90 housing if that matters....

7. Nathan

Nathan Member

I still don't have the guitar built yet! I'm dying to know myself, but I think the lack of info online after they've been out for a few years (at least 5 I'd say) says something. They might not be the be-all and end-all, but if they achieve noseless operation that resemles a single coil more than a humbucker, that's ok by me. Oh, they have to have some tone too. I'm gonna try different alnico magnets if the ceramic ones are no good.

8. Jim Gilmore

Jim Gilmore Member

Dimarzio Virtual P90. Sounds real good, looks funny with the two rows of screws (for a P90 that should only have one row) Comes in Cream or Black fits any sopabar size rout (non-dogear). Live, it will completly cop the fat single coil P90 vibe (good pinch harmonics!). Not real expensive either.