Hum on pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Miles, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Miles

Miles Member

I just sold a boss RV-2 on ebay (Reverb) and the guy is talking about a hum that he gets at high gain settings. However, I have noticed that Boss pedals always leave a hiss or something in your signal. He is now unhappy about the pedal, and I certainly did not mean to sell him something that he wouldn't like. And he got it for less than half of the new price.

The hum is a faint ringing hum that you can only hear if using a considerable amount of gain and moderate volume or higher.

What are your thoughts?

Isn't this normal for boss pedals?? My flanger does something very similar.

What should I do?

2. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

Is he using batteries? Batteries don't hum. Some pedals pick up hum easier than others, but I take it you didn't modify the circuit.

3. Miles

Miles Member

It's a japanese version that doesn't take batteries, and no, I didn't make any circuit mods.

Why do they hum more than others?

Am I obligated to do anything about this?

4. Montez

Montez Member

Have him turn down the volume on the guitar. If the hum goes away it is the pickups. If not it could be the power supply or a bad cable.

Single coil pickups hum, and is amplified by high gain.

5. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Well what power supply is he using? is it the Boss recomened one? is it a pedal power, a one spot, etc... I know that when i used a generic one my boss pedal hummed more and when i switched to my one spot that pretty much stoped. I dont think that hum at really high gain settings should be unexpected.

It depends as too your view on ebay. If you use it allot may just want to work out a deal to let him return it to keep good feedback. Main thing is you need to figure out what you can do to make sure he is happy. If you dont use it allot or are not worried about bad feedback i dont think your obligated to do anything, it is a used pedal...

6. g-nem

g-nem Member

Be careful- a couple of people have been scammed lately with buyers wanting to return things they've bought. If he wants to return it, make sure you don't refund his money until you get the pedal back.

7. Miles

Miles Member

Yeah, I've heard these cases too, thanks.

I used the pedal with boss 9v. power supply, and a dunlop power brick on got this hum. I mean, it is REALLY subtle unless you put it in high gain, then it's just kinda there, but certainly nothing too bad at all, and you can't hear it if the cab is mic'd, so I'll just tell him to use the right power supply.

8. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

Cheaper power supplies? Lower power filtering?

As the others have said, have him find out if the hum is picked up from his guitar. If not, tell him to increase the power caps.

9. Miles

Miles Member

What does it mean to increase the power caps?