Hum When I remove My Hands From The Guitar...PU Changing 101...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jumpnblues, Jul 27, 2008.

1. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

...Just changed pu's and now when I lift my hands off the guitar I get a buzz? Didn't notice any ground wires while replacing my pu's and I soldered my pu wires to exactly the same positions as the others (yellow wire to selector, black wire to volume pot). Everything works and switches fine. Should I solder a section of guitar string from the electronic housing to the underside of the bridge?

Tom

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Tom,

You've already got a ground to the bridge, which is why the buzz goes away when you touch the bridge or strings. Did you change from EMG's or other active pickups?

Cheers,

3. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

No, I just went from passive Tele pu to passive Tele pu.

Tom

4. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

What kind of Tele pickup was in there, before, and what kind is in there,now?

Vintage style Tele bridge pickups have a plate attached to the bottom side of the pickup. This plate is grounded by means of a little jumper wire from the plate to the pickup's ground wire. The pickup is mounted to the bridgeplate by three conductive screws, each of which is in contact with the aforementioned plate. Since the pickup plate is grounded, the bridgeplate is automatically grounded because of the three screws. (The bridgeplate MUST be grounded.)

In many newer style Tele bridge pickups, there is no plate on the bottom of the pickup. Consequently, the bridgeplate is not automatically grounded when this type of pickup is mounted onto the bridgeplate. If this is the type of pickup you recently installed, you will have to install an additional ground wire, between the bridgeplate and the volume pot casing. Thread a wire from the control cavity into the bridge pickup cavity. Strip an inch of insulation from the bridge cavity end of the wire, and lay it on top of the guitar body. Bolt the bridgeplate in place, over the bare wire. Solder the other end of this wire to the volume pot casing.

5. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member