Humbucker Advice: Lollar, DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by thesooze, May 29, 2015.

1. thesooze

thesooze Member

Hey guys, I recently bought a Agile Goldtop 3100m and I'm looking to replace the stock humbuckers.

I've narrowed it down to three options:

- Lollar Imperial Low Wind
    - DiMarzio 36th Anniversary
    - Seymour Duncan JB

The guitar plays great, but the stock pickups are a little plasticky/waxy sounding. Wanting something that will sound sparkly and clean w/ no gain, but then will have a nice squish to it with some OD/Fuzz.

I play modern worship music (bands like Bethel Live, Hillsong, etc) and also really like tones from Death Cab For Cutie, Jimmy Eat World, U2, Coldplay, Radiohead, and Foo Fighters.

Any opinions will be helpful, even if I should be looking into other stuff. Might be cool if someone can chime in who has played 2 or more of the above pups. Thanks so much!

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  2. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

You could find the Dimarzio 36th for cheap on Ebay. = They sound great IMO
    The Lollars do have an extra Mojo - for whatever that is worth.

3. darkinners

darkinners Member

JB sound too different to compare with the other 2.

I personally think Lollar Imperial is one of the best humbucker you can buy.

pdouds and snouter like this.
  4. snouter

snouter Member

I tried a variety of buckers over the years including the Duncan JB, 59, Pearly, Alnico II, Parallel Axis and DiMarzios Evo, but the Lollar Imperials is definitely my favorite. More refined sounding. The clarity is great in the various wiring available with 4 wire buckers, and the normal series setting is very fat sounding, yet even then retains detail to satisfy my ear that normally prefers single coils. I actually recently got a set of Imperials, the regular version, for a Warmoth Soloist project. Got the F-Spaced Imperial for the bridge.

5. Sensates

Sensates Member

Based on your influences, definitely a Lollar Imperial. Haven't tried the low wind but regular is very very nice..

The JB can be great versatile in the correct guitar, but it's a bit trial and error. Had it in several guitars, some sounded great, while others dreadful.

Not a fan of the 36th Anni Dimarzio though.

6. MantraSky

MantraSky Silver Supporting Member

Lollar would be a great choice for your guitar, the JB is limited in what it can do and the Di Marzio while a very good pickup, doesn't have the same quality in Tone & build.

7. thesooze

thesooze Member

I included the JB's because I liked their sound the best from the SD clips on their website.

The Lollars were my first instinct because I had them in a Les Paul in the past and loved them. They're just $175 instead of $100 each :/

Any other pickups come to mind with my description above? Not opposed to a little more research.

8. Charvel_ strat_81

Charvel_ strat_81 Member

The dimarzio 36th PAF will be the most versatile of the ones you listed.
    The duncan JB seems to work best for heavier tones and the lollar is too expensive considering
    it is not really any better than the dimarzio 36th once gain is applied.

9. cugel

cugel Member

do the 36ers. for that guitar they are a good fit. after playing the turd-polishing game myself before (i have an agile and no its not a turd, just an funny expression i use), i found that you cant go wrong with the tried and true, such as those 36s or seth lovers. never heard a bad thing about the 36s. ever. you may even find them used for dirt dirt cheap.

Charvel_ strat_81 likes this.
  10. Moot

Moot Member

Lollar Imperials are amazing, and the Low Wind set has the most presence and sparkle. I've owned each of the sets you mentioned, and they're all good, but Lollar's pickups are an order of magnitude better.

11. Geetar_Will

Geetar_Will Supporting Member

While I must acknowledge the Lollar Low wind I had, my favorite humbucker so far has been Seymour's Antiquity. The Lollar was very nice - I had it in a G&L Bluesboy (modded for a bridge HB)... It felt more refined (good adjective from above poster) in a cutting sort of way (a bit much for my taste). The Antiquity I have in my Les Paul and it's the more vintage type sound I was after... It feels a bit more saggy/hollow and just cutting enough. Both were in the bridge.

Mind you, this was two different guitars... Ash tele body/Maple neck (Lollar) vs Mahogany Les Paul Body/Rosewood neck (Duncan).

Seth L likes this.
  12. Charvel_ strat_81

Charvel_ strat_81 Member

Really good reply!

13. sleewell

sleewell Member

36ths are really good, so are pearly gates.

14. grapeshot

grapeshot Member

Another vote for 36th PAFs. I have them in 3x guitars. Great pickups! YMMV.

15. markstullkc

markstullkc Member

16. Defendant

Defendant Member

I'm doing exactly the same thing right now with a 335. Lollar low winds to go in tomorrow, replacing a 36th in the bridge.

I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW the 36th is an excellent pickup. Punches well above it's weight. I'm just looking for something a bit more restrained.

17. thesooze

thesooze Member

Awesome, yes please do. Interested to hear your thoughts.

What do you mean by more restrained? Is the 36th brash/harsh?

18. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Lollars are wonderful pickups and would work well with what you describe. My favorite humbuckers, although i prefer the standard wind, lightly potted.

19. Defendant

Defendant Member

Not at all. My 335 is a bit brash, so I'm taking a step even further back than the 36th.

20. Defendant

Defendant Member

Did the swap to Lollar low winds. Much better!

Pretty much everything I wanted happened: my 335 sounds balanced without any harshness. And it sounds more like an old 335. I can also raise the pickups without the tone going to crap.

Very pleased. Recommend!