Humbucker baseplate source ???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by illinimax, Jun 11, 2006.

1. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

I'm looking for the short-legged type of humbucker baseplate that Duncan uses on the Alnico Pro II and Pearly Gates models. Any "leads" on where I might procure some of these would be helpful. Thanks!
    -BC

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Don't really know about the short ear plates, but AllParts has the vintage ones.

3. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Please share a source if you find one. You can modify the vintage style by either bending the tab and drilling a new mounting hole or by cutting the leg in half and tacking it back together 1/4" higher using a little solder. Both work well. You may want to but a few spare baseplates from Allparts or StewMac to experiment with first.

4. illinimax

That's exactly what I've done up until now, to varying degrees of success :BOUNCE

Still looking ... I'm going to call Seymour Duncan and see if I can buy some from them.

5. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Which method did you try and have limited success with? Care to share any lessons learned?

6. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

How hard is it to change the baseplate? What effect do different baseplates have on the pups' tone?

7. illinimax