Humbucker for Explorer or other all mahogany axe?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tone Loco, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

I recently picked up an Explorer with Rios in it and am now looking for a nice set of Humbuckers, not hot ones. These are just kind of extreme for my purposes.

Almost all the reviews I've seen are about how various PAFs etc sound in LPs, but unplugged this Explorer sounds nothing like an LP so I'd probably like something that has more highs available. What do people use in Vs, or SGs?

For reference the only other HB guitar I have is a '65 335 with patent # pickups, and I like those a lot, I typically play through a Fuchs mod or 60s Fenders, and with this guitar it will be classic rock, live not recorded.

Last but not least I'd like something I can find used fairly easily so if I don't like it I can just try something else. But I'm not super picky about copping a particular sound so hopefully it won't be a long quest, I don't really want to hone my pickup swapping skills or aquire a pickup collection, just a couple nice sounding articulate humbuckers that sound good clean as well as with amp or pedal OD in an Explorer.

Is that too much to ask? :D

2. Tone Loco

Hmmm... maybe so :bumpbump

3. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

very hard to go wrong with SD AlNiCo II Pros

4. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

Classic 57's
    very well balanced, not too much output. love em.
    V's (and explorers) generally come with a set of 498R/500T pickups, but I suspect you'll find the ceramic fuled fire breathing monster that is the 500T, a bit much. I like them, but I've dialed in my tone to deal with them. Most people find it a bit much.

5. Tone Loco

I think it has the original neck PU in the case - is that also a fire breather? I dont want to bother swapping it in if so but if not Iwonder how ti would be with a normal HB?

6. Hackubus

Hackubus Member

I've got a Duncan EVH or 78 or whatever they call it, in a mahogany body/maple top Hamer & it's a rip snorter. Its rated about 9 K, kind of a hot PAF sound. Good cleans, excellent with the gain.

7. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I'm looking for the same thing for my Explorer, it' a dark guitar- I'm thinking my Motor City 2nd degree blackbelts will sound great in it, they are PAF strength A5, very bright and clear in a LP goldtop I have them in now. I'm going to pull them out of that LP and pop em in the Explorer soon.

8. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

I just took a Rio Texas set out of my Explorer and dropped in a pair of Manlius Hot 59's. Love em. Medium output, pretty balanced with a nice clear top end. They're exactly what I was look for. The Rio's were too hot and warm,...almost dark, and in an already semi-dark guit they were not a good match.

9. Tone Seeker

Tone Seeker Member

I have a Collings 290 routed for humbuckers, which has a slab mahogany body, mahogany neck and indian rosewood fingerboard. The guitar is very warm, sweet and "thick" sounding. It came with Lollar Imperials which are quite nice, but I found them too strong in the lower midrange.

I read some encouraging feedback on RS/Fralin True 60's and picked up a set on sale, thinking they might be a nice fit for my Mahogany / Maple Cap Les Paul style guitar. Instead, I tried them in my Collings 290 and they sound great! They have added the right kind of brightness to the guitar, and it's very nicely balanced now. The excessive "honk" is gone. The guitar had great harmonic overtones and the True 60's took that even further.

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=30_58&products_id=378

These are pricey, but highly recommended!

Terry.

10. Tone Loco

This fits the bill for easily available used and non-pricey, but the write up on the duncan site recommends them for bright guitars - maple tops, ebony/maple boards. And the word spongy as far as bass response... anybody used these in mahogany slab body, mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard guitars and love them?

11. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

12. memberzonly

memberzonly Supporting Member

Dimarzio 36th Anni PAF's. CRIMINALLY underrated IMHO.

13. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

mini humbuckers sound great in an explorer.

14. FractalGarden

FractalGarden Member

Respectfully, it hurts me to even hear that you're swapping out the stock 500T's. They were made for that guitar. :(

15. Ascension

Ascension Member

Yes I have. I wanted a little more heat in the bridge and went with the A-2 Custom Custom. However if you want more of a vintage output the Alnico II buckers with a mahogany guitar arereaLLY COOL as is the Pearly Gates set.

16. Tone Loco

I got it used, with the Rio texas/bbq already in it. There was a SD super distortion and another pickup included. Maybe the original neck pickup? Any idea how to identify the gibson pickups?