1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Humbucker Hunt

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ssvr, Dec 28, 2017.

1. gtrgene

gtrgene Supporting Member

I'm an ox4 guy. Tried a lot of PAF's and settled on ox4 and throbaks. I like the A5 carter wind ox4's in my 335 the best. Also have a set of standard wind from them in my HSH Sadowsky tele. Also very nice.

2. Madguitrst

Madguitrst Member

third stone from the sun, one step from the edge
  3. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

This.

4. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

5. superstratjunky

superstratjunky Member

6. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

I've tried a lot and settled on OX4 too.
    I prefer A5's in mine.

7. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

Duncan '59 or a Dimarzio PAF Classic.

8. Mincer

Mincer Member

See, I'd pick the Antiquity for a clear, clean sort of scooped profile with no midrange hump. The 59 would be my 2nd pick.

9. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Shawn was an absolute monstrosity!!! And dig that drummer!! :eek:

I actually started laughing out loud this is so awesome!

ssvr likes this.
  10. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

Throbak’s. I use the SLE-101’s. They have A2 magnets which tend to more mid scooped to my ear than other magnets. They offer many winds with most magnet types. Call Jon and ask his opinion.

Another winder I’ve recently discovered is Tyson Tone Lab. I can’t comment first hand on his humbuckers, but his P90’s are wonderful.

11. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

SD Seth Lover

Suhr Thornbucker

Lollar Imperial

12. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

59 would be a great starting point. It's lower output, clear, and has a bit of a mid scoop. You can snag used ones all day long.

13. ssvr

ssvr Member

Drummer is Sean Rickman, who is Phil Upchurch's son (played with George Benson, Moody etc). Sean is just as scary on drums as Shawn was on guitar

Shawn was the greatest in my book in the realm of instrumental rock/fusion. Not only unparalleled virtuosity, but also unparalleled compositional skills. "Illusions" for example moves me in a way that no Vai or Satriani song can (and those guys are great!)... Shawn had a level of sophistication to him that's hard if not impossible to find these days

MkIII Renegade likes this.
  14. ssvr

ssvr Member

Thanks all for the awesome suggestions, have a lot of checking out/listening to do. I might be back later on with a demo of whatever I land on

15. ssvr

ssvr Member

Yeah I think AT's sound is a bit too aggressive for me, after further thought, but it's so hard to tell from sound clips. Effects, EQing, amp settings all make such a difference, so this stuff (picking out a pickup) is hard! Not to mention 99% demos are absolute CRAP with no regard for the styles of play and use-cases...

Once in a while you stumble across a demo that actually lets the pickup shine (hint: pick the right amp to go with it and find someone who can actually play pls!):

16. jimlp

jimlp Member

The Dimarzio 59 PAF is a good sounding pickup and very clear with low output.

17. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

Did you mention what type of guitar this is going into? When you were talking about Timmons, I assumed it would be a super strat, but now that you've posted a les paul demo, maybe you'd be well-served listening to The Pat and Dave Show on YouTube. They compare a bunch of "pAf" pickups in LP and LP-type guitars, versus the stock pickups in their glorious "Oscar" vintage (58) Les Paul. It's a great show, and I spent hours watching then rewatching the various clips, and getting a history lesson as well. Good fun.

There is some of the same music played as in this clip you've just posted, too.... But better-recorded. The only problem is that you are going to 'need' the Vox amp they usually play through.

18. Visual Guy

Visual Guy Supporting Member

Low wind, Musical... My @Righteous Sound RAF is 7.9, A2. touch sensitive. One of my favorite sets. (Neck is like 7.3) I like the Brielle set too. But, the RAF is a top contender and I tried 20 sets this year.

ssvr likes this.
  19. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Agreed he was more compositionally advanced. He was the guitar hero's hero! I have often been moved by Vai's best, although he also sometimes throws in what sound like very bad (OFF Broadway) show tunes. :eek: :facepalm Satriani's work sounds too dad rockish to me to be moving. Perfectly safe to be used for a generic Sony commercial (which has actually happened at least once...).

NamaEnsou likes this.
  20. rummy

rummy Member