Humbucker Hunt

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ssvr, Dec 28, 2017.

1. mikefair

mikefair Member

Another vote for Seth Lovers. I think you really can't go wrong with them.

2. Tri7/5

Tri7/5 Member

Just wanted to say Shawn Lanes tone on Illusions (studio album) when he hits his solo is unbelievable. The 3-D organic tone he gets is a holy grail for me. He used a really unique amp though (not from a big manufacturer) which is part of the equation.

ssvr likes this.
  3. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

For a moment I thought this thread was called "The Humbucker Hut", and was about a mall kiosk that sold only humbucking pickups and accessories.

ssvr likes this.
  4. ssvr

ssvr Member

I know, right? Instant chills... why do the best have to go young...

His Powers of Ten tone is holy grail for me too

5. ssvr

ssvr Member

Definitely super strat, mine is ESP with Floyd. Thanks for the tips, this has been a pretty kind thread.

RolandKorg likes this.
  6. ssvr

ssvr Member

so true... I remember being a 16 year old hearing Vai's "Rescue me or Bury Me" unaccompanied solo for the first time... I spontaneously burst into clapping at the end of it, ha.

The best of Joe was "The Extremist" and "Not of This Earth". I'm of the view that the rule is an artist's best work is usually their earliest. I mean, compare "Memories" from Not of This Earth to any of the more recent arena-rock type instrumentals he's put out, no comparison. But can't be too hard on him because coming up with just ONE melody worth humming is hard/magic enough to do...

NamaEnsou likes this.
  7. superstratjunky

superstratjunky Member

I can't argue to much about most of his songs sounding "dad rockish", but there were gems in his career.
    Satch Boogie off SWTA

FIABD off of FIABD

Crying from Time Machine

I love Crystal Planet, but this is my fav Satch song on it & ever.
    Raspberry Jam Delta-v"

There are more like Summer Song {That "ad" song} & others, but I'm not going to derail any more than this post. I do have half of his albums & I'm biased, but he's helped keep guitar from the abyss.

ssvr likes this.
  8. superstratjunky

superstratjunky Member

What exact model?

9. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

That's exactly how I'd describe the Pearly's in my Faded Special. Great pickups.

10. 71strat

71strat Member

I had a big long talk with Tom Holmes 2 months ago. 40 minutes

Tom told me in 1992 Gary Moore, Billy Gibbons, and Peter Frampton helped him voice his pickups, and that almost all of the aftermarket HBs, Moore, Frampton and Gibbons use(d) were his. He was really good friends with Gary, and Tom told me he had no better salesman for his pups than Gary.

Moore, Frampton and Gibbons convinced Tom to switch to A2 Magnets in 1992. He had been using A4 since he had some original 59 A4s analyzed in 71, and is what he originally used, but Gibbons, Moore, and Frampton lobbied hard for him to make the change, and he did in 92.

Tom will still make a set of the A4s if asked. They have around a 7.7k range. They are called H453.

His stock set is H450/H455 A2 7.4k-8.3k. Very clean, clear, articulate, and no mid humps or extremes. Just a very smooth, harmonically rich pickup. Id say they are more on the Bright side vs dark.

Next up would be the Throbak SLE101s. A2.

Frampton uses an H450 A2 in his neck, H453 4 in Middle, and H455 A2 in Bridge

ssvr likes this.
  11. ssvr

ssvr Member

Thanks for sharing that...

Was under impression that Gary Moore used A5s. Do you know what was in his bridge pickup on the "Still Got the Blues" or "Parisienne Walkways" Les Pauls?

Did not know about Tom Holmes: this is a clip of a guy getting Dumble-like tones, not sure what's he playing through but sounds great, pickup is clear, articulate, powerful, singing:

12. 71strat

71strat Member

I don't want to say 1 makers pups are better than anothers, as theyre are many good brands. Even Tom says theres no reason a nice PAF cant be built because all of the materials are readily available.

I will also add though Tom makes all of his stuff by hand, from scratch. He does all of his own electroplating for example.:eek:Makes his own Bobbins.:eek:

Tom also designed the earliest version of the Gibson 57 Classic in the 90s, and also the Machines used to wind them on. Tom designed many aspects of the Original Classic 57, but Gibson deemed many of his suggestions to expensive for production. Tom eventually moved on. He, along with Bill Lawrence, got to see all of the Original Magnet Order Sheets from every year of Gibson from the 50s - 60s.

Another thing Tom is only wanting to achieve 1 year of PAF. 1959.

If Garys guitar was an aftermarket LP on the songs you mentioned, theres a good probability/possibility that those are Toms pickups. All I can say is that Tom was pretty adamant that Gary really liked, and used the pickups. Tom and Gary were also very good personal friends, and said Gary was his biggest promoter. But I cant tell you that those are Toms pups in those songs, but its a good bet they are. Id say better than 50/50.
    Tom was convinced in particular by Gary, and Billy Gibbons, with Frampton also having input, but Gibbons, and Moore both having direct input into how the pickups would be voiced, and the output of the pickups. ect to change from A4, to A2 in 1992, regardless of what may be in the ORIGINAL 59. Apparently Gary, Frampton, Gibbons, like(d) A2 magnets and were the 1s personally responsible for Tom switching to A2. Albert King also had input on Toms pups, but died the year Tom decided to go from A4, to A2. Albert used Holmes H453 A4.

Tom did have a 59 magnet analyzed in 1971 and it came back as an unknown hybrid, even though it was a 59, it was in reality what was an A4. 12 years after this magnet was manufactured, it was unrecognizable from the original factory that poured it.

MAGNETS AINT MAGNETS. Tom also has the wire made to his specs, and constantly measures it, as it too, varies.

I had Top REVERSE the Neck Magnet when he made mine. If you turn both Volumes down below 8, it makes it go out of phase, and sounds really good, but you lose volume, so you have to compensate.

Heres some quotes from the Seymor Duncan forum...

In 2004:eek::eek::aok:aok:eeks:eeks:omg:omg:omg

Tom Holmes pups in Gary Moore's LP
    I was listening to Gary Moore's new CD (Monsters of Rock...). On the track "Don't Believe a Word", the guitar tone is really sweet. Nice PAF tone, similar to the Peter Green/Gary Moore LP. So I emailed his website and asked if it was that guitar. They got back to me and said it was the prototype Gibson-Gary Moore model with Tom Holmes pups.

Has anyone had experience with these? I know they've been talked about over at the LPF, along with every other latest PAF clone.

Jeff

I have a set of Holmes double cream humbuckers in my '00 Les Paul 1959 RI. It came with 57 Classics, which sounded very good... but those will never get near that guitar again. The Holmes are just as special as everyone says. Very lively and present. They make my Les Paul sound like one of those real hot one's like I get the impression Jeff Beck used on Truth, which is the tone I want when I reach for my Les Paul. Or the tones I hear Billy Gibbons get. The Pearly Gates are sort of in that territory too, but the Holmes have more of a custom shop vibe and tone. I'd think if Seymour wound a set of Pearly Gates he could add a little secret sauce (ketchup and 1000 island) and make a set that sounds like Tom's. But Tom isn't making pickups anymore from what I understand. Lew

As of 1 year ago, Tom Holmes still made pups, but at the high price of $600 a set. For a long time he was winding for $240 and got back-logged with orders to Asia. He was so far behind he just stopped selling any new sets.

One day, a gentlemen called and wanted to order 3-4 sets (after Tom had decided not to take any new orders) and was very insistent that Tom wind them. After a while, Tom finally said "I'll do it, but it will cost $600 a set...at my age, that is how much my time is worth." Sure enough, the gentlemen paid $2,400 for 4 sets of pups. Tom was amazed.

Fortunately, I already owned a set and was just calling him to order another pair. That is when he told me the story. He said that he couldn't budge off the price because it wouldn't be fair to other customers who had previously asked.

It may be worth it to give him a call. Perhaps things have changed. You can reach Tom via the website, below.

http://www.tomholmescompany.com/

Best,
    Lee Moore

Re: Tom Holmes pups in Gary Moore's LP
    Guys,

Thanks for the info.

Lee, thanks for the web address.

Lew, You're description is right. Gary tends to have more treble and bite in his tone, even when using Greeny's LP. So the comparison with what a Custom Shop set of PGs would sound like, makes sense.

I've had a set of Antiqs in my LP for years and love them. In the past, mine have compared very well when a/b'd with real PAFS. Recently however, Wattage played mine and a converted 54 Lp with PAFs and the Antiqs were a little brighter. Still in the PAF ballpark, but not quite as warm (I had to appeal to the age of the wood in the '54 as an excuse, to calm myself down [​IMG] ).

How would you compare Holmes' pups with Antqs?

Thanks,

Jeff

I think the Holmes pickups sound hotter and more aggressive than Antiquitys. They don't use aged magnets like the Antiquitys but I don't know what else Tom is doing to make them sound so strong and lively. At first I wasn't really sure I liked the Holmes humbuckers...they just have so much presence it took a while to get used to them. Still, as knowledgable as Seymour is, it's hard for me to believe that Seymour couldn't make a humbucker that equaled the Holmes in the Duncan Custom Shop. Lew

Re: Tom Holmes pups in Gary Moore's LP

[​IMG] Originally Posted by Lewguitar
    Still, as knowledgable as Seymour is, it's hard for me to believe that Seymour couldn't make a humbucker that equaled the Holmes in the Duncan Custom Shop. Lew

You're absolutely right on that point. I imagine Holmes went for the tone he likes. Seymour went for the real deal, and actually after having played many PAFs, in old LPs and SGs, they all differed to some degree. They ranged from dead-on sweet to terrible and definitiely not worth the money.

Jeff

Little did they know then that Gary helped Tom design the pickups.:beer:beer:beer:bong:bong:bong

1 last thing is.

Duncan, and most others are IMHO more like a pup that is fresh from the factory. Although some demag their magnets, of which Holmes doesn't like, and said he could never fully control it, and was to variable.

Tom was Gruhns repairman for around 20 years, and took all kinds of PAFs apart ect

He got to see how Bobbins Shrink, and how this changes both the Shape of the Coil, and the Tension, and probably other things I don't know about. While Toms magnets are fully charged, and new materials, the shape, and tension of his design is more like an Internally Aged pickup, verses a pup that has merely degaussed, and had some relicing ect. Of which Tom doesn't like Degaussing. To Inconsistent.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    ssvr likes this.