Humbucker in the bridge of a strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

So, I have a strat on the way and I believe it has a swimming pool route. I'm definitely going to give the bridge pup a solid chance, but I'm thinking ahead and I saw a few KILLER strats in the emporium that had a humbucker in the bridge position. BUT, these had the old school looking humbuckers, metal flat top? Are these types called something special? Here is a pic from GFS as a guide, but basically I'm talking about the humbuckers that you would see on a Gibson and not the ones where you can see both pups side by side <that is more shredder style to me imho>.
    Oh, recommendations on a great pickup in the bridge of strat AND pics of your guitars welcome. Like I said, there is an ad in the emporium right now (think it's a Suhr or something) with the look I'm talking about.
    Only problem is my strat has gold hardware... I know, I know :nono

http://store.guitarfetish.com/v59algohuclt.html

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Fat strat is what a hss strat is called usually. The spacing is different on a Gibson and a Fender, so a "f-spaced" humbucker is usually used for a strat.

Before you swap out the stock pickup, I HIGHLY recommend you rewire the second tone control to the bridge pickup instead of the middle pickup. This will take care of that harsh bridge tone.

Good luck.

dk

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks. I agree with the tone control mod. I've done that on 2 other strats and it helped tremendously. Still not humbucker tones, but nice.
    This is actually going to be a G&L Legacy and my past one sounded great in all positions. I think the controls are Volume, Treble, Bass or something like that so I'm hoping this is a moot point and the stock pup kicks ass.
    (I do dig that look though, very cool, check out the Suhr SSH classic:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=426285)

4. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I've got some of those GFS 59's in a LP copy and they're quite nice - they're not very high output and work well for blues and some light rock tones; they also sound good played clean. I also have a HSS Strat with an uncovered GFS humbucker in the bridge and that's one of my favourite guitars just 'cause of it's versatility. You can get some fat rock sounds out of the bridge position and all the regular Strat sounds out of the front two PUPs. I still like regular strats, always will, but HSS is a great configuration which gives you a lot of tonal options.

5. Think Floyd

Think Floyd Member

"Are these types called something special? Here is a pic from GFS as a guide, but basically I'm talking about the humbuckers that you would see on a Gibson and not the ones where you can see both pups side by side that is more shredder style to me imho"

They're not different "types" of pick-ups... it's just that some pick-ups have covers on them. Remove the cover and you'll see the side-by-side coils. Depending on what brand/model pick-up you want, you might be able to get one with a gold cover to match your Strat's gold hardware, or maybe get one without a cover in the same color as your single coil pick-ups.