Humbucker install....need your advice.....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jon71203, Oct 2, 2008.

1. jon71203

jon71203 Supporting Member

hey guys,
    so i'm putting a humbucker in the bridge position of my strat. so the configuration will be H/S/S. This is the humbucker:

[​IMG]

its a motor city pickup. wade has been awesome to deal with by the way.
    anyhow, i'm a little confused about how to install the pickup. it has the black and green wires that you can see in the pic as well as a red and white wire that are tucked back into the jacket. not sure what to do with those if anything.

[​IMG]

it also came with a capacitor that was suggested to put between volume and tone pots...that makes no sense to me, do you actually solder one end to the volume pot and the other to the tone pot?

[​IMG]

any and all help would be greatly appreciated......thanks guys
    jon

2. jon71203

none of these show the capacitor anywhere......
    thanks though

3. xntrick

xntrick Member

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

skip the capacitor at first, and just wire up the pickup. green + bare is obviously ground (because the bare wire is ground no matter what), leaving the other wire for hot. the other 2 wires are tucked away for a reason, so leave them alone for now.

5. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Looks like the black wire is the hot that goes to the selector, the green and bare wire are grounds and to be soldered to the back of the pot.

The red and white "should" have been soldered together as they would be the series link of the two coils. These two wires can be used for coil splitting/parallel wiring in the future.

If after installation and you get some out of phase tone in position 2, just reverse the black and green wire, always leave the bare wire to ground.

The .022uf orange drop cap actually has not much to do with the pickup itself per se but would be the one recommended for tone control.

6. jon71203

thanks rv...that makes more sense.

as for the wires themselves i'm going to have to pull back that black jacket in order for the wire to reach where it needs to be. if i pull the jacket back to expose more wire do i still tuck the red and white wires out of the way?

7. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

No need to do that, but if those two wires have already been soldered together, just make sure you keep them (the connection) well insulated (taped) and not exposed.