Humbucker Pickup Hum Problems

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by ripoffriffs, Apr 27, 2005.

1. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

I would like people's input on this situation.

My stock bridge & neck humbucker Pickups on a Gibson SG '61 Reissue (small pickguard model) has a low frequency hum. It gets louder as you turn up amp gain or volume or when I turn on my Fulltone overdrive pedal.

I have eliminated ground loop causes between my pedal board (powered by Dunlop Brick) and amplifier. I have eliminated the amp itself as the cause of the hum, Dr Z amps are very quiet.

Here's how I know it's the guitar's pickups: I merely turn the pickup selector to the middle position and the hum disappears.

I experience this same problem on another guitar equipped with a Carvin M22SD humbucker. Again, I merely turn the PU selector to an in between position and the hum disappears.

I do not hear this problem with my 90's PRS EG (US models). I do not hear this problem on the Fender Noiseless stacked humbuckers either.

If the solution is to merely change pickups, I am ready to do that. But which one? But could there be a solution of merely correcting the wiring inside the guitar?

Some input would be great.

2. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

I have the same issue with my Heritage 535. As far as I know it has stock humbucker pickups, but they are not completely humbucking.

Let me me explain: When selecting only the neck pickup or only the bridge pickup, a small, yet noticeable amount of noise comes through. When selecting both pickups, the guitar is silent.

I suspect that one coil of each humbucker is intentionally wound with more wire.

Does anybody know anything about this?

3. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

Hey Rip, it seems we're the only two people in the world with these "special" pickups.

They must be very valuable.

4. Helix

Helix Member

I have a Seymour Duncan Custom 5 (alnico V magnet), that hums. I hate it. I've posted about it may places, and I never get a good answer. I think it's just a dud.:mad:

5. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Flourescent lighting or a computer screen nearby? Some other stray voltage you're picking up through your pickups? Try playing in a different room, or even at another location if possible to see if that helps.

Could also be a lose or poor connection in your guitar's wiring... Maybe the ground to bridge? Does this hum go away when you touch the strings or bridge?

Try a few different things to fix it, and if all else fails, take it to an experienced tech. Usually though it's one of the above items I just listed.