humbucker problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by tbone666, Nov 16, 2005.

1. tbone666

tbone666 Supporting Member

here's the deal -

i've attempted to wire up a single humbucker with one volume knob - that's it. i got this schematic off the SD website and followed it to a "t".

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/1hum_1vol.html

anyway - it appears to be wired correctly. Black to the right eyelet of the volume pot, middle eyelet to the "hot" input, ground from the input to the back of the volume pot. Red and White soldered together and taped. Finally Green, left eyelet of the pot and the bare wire together to the claw for ground.

results:
    i strum the strings and get no output BUT if i'm touching the bridge and the volume knob on the amp (?!) [pignose] i can hear it come through - very perplexed, and not very electrically inclined so i'm completely stumped.

any help is appreciated.

thanks-

todd

2. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

To the claw, for ground? What claw is this? Ground is to volume pot casing.

By claw, do you mean the claw for a trem? The bridge assembly must be grounded, and this is typically accomplished by soldering a wire between the claw and a true ground, which is the volume pot casing. The grounds in the drawing, AND a lead from this claw (if that is what you mean), must go to the voluem pot casing.

Your description sounds as if you have soldered the leads to the claw, but the claw, and therefore, the bridge, is not grounded. The circuit is not complete until you touch the bridge. At that point, YOU provide the ground.

Solder the green and bare wires to the volume pot casing. If there is a trem claw, run a lead between that and the volume pot casing.

3. tbone666

that makes sense to me. i'll try it when i get home today. so the TRUE ground is the volume pot?

so does the volume pot get a ground wire? in that schematic it shows that the third "eyelet" is suppose to be grounded. i'll try moving the ground and see what happens.

i'm sure i have other questions but w/o the guitar in front of me i can't think of any more.

thanks jim, i'll try that move.

-todd

4. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

Typically, that lug is bent over so that it touches the volume pot casing, and it is soldered in place.

The ground lug from the jack should also have a lead going to the volume pot casing. The volume pot casing is the central grounding point for just about everything. You'll always see several things soldered to it.

5. tbone666

jim-

thank you for your help - went home last night and moved my ground wires to the volume pot casing and low and behold - sound from the amp - without and part of me touching the amp.
    :)

thanks for help - it's appreciated.

todd