Humbucker Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by khudson, Jul 17, 2008.

1. khudson

khudson Member

I am looking for a new neck pu for my Gibson SG Std. I actually like the 498T stock PU in the bridge, which I believe is Alnico 5. I want to put a nice, articulate PAF in the neck - do I need to stick with A5 mags or can I put an A2 pu in there? I am sure anything is possible, but wanted to get input on the tonal results, especially when blending or how different the eq would be on my amps when switching between the two. Anyone out there have an A2 in the neck and a A5 in the bridge? If so, any results to share? Or is it better to match magnets for both pu's? Any neck pu recommedations for my SG that blends good with the 498T bridge? Thanks...

2. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I really like the Burstbucker 1 in the neck. Sounds just like you describe in the Les Paul I just received.

3. khudson

khudson Member

Thanks for the reply. I know the BB Pro neck is an A5, the BB1 is an A2. I am still curious of anyone using different mags in each of their pu's. Any other comments, suggestions?

4. NR2112

NR2112 Member

I dont have much experince with all gibson Pups, but I can tell you that Dimarzios have such killer tone, and articulation. They resond very well with the slight variations of your picking. I use a PAF Joe in the neck and boy, it just rocks on both high gain, and classic gain settings. I gues i dont even know what A5 or A2 is, but I came accross this post and thought Id share my experience.
    Pickups are soooo difficult to buy. Cant ever test em first really. GOOD LUCK!

5. khudson

khudson Member

Thanks NR2112.

The A2 & A5 refer to the magnets in the pickup, which provide tonal characteristics. I'll check out the PAF Joe & see what its all about. Bascially this post was about how common it is have a guitar with a A2 magnet in the neck pu & a A5 magnet in the bridge pu, or if it is best to keep the mags matched in your pu set. Anyone else?