Humbucker replacement in Bridge position, strat.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Metalmike117, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Metalmike117

Metalmike117 Member

Gents,

I'm working on a project this weekend. My stock and 3 month old Players Series strat has an Alnico 5 HSH setup for pickups. Even in the bridge position I hear hints of the split coil while playing. I'm not sure that when there is a 5 way switch and 5 position capabilities that the single coil element is just a byproduct of that wiring situation.

So my technical question is... Can I replace this pickup with lets say an F spaced Duncan JB for better hard rock tones and if so will it have the same single coil element to it? Or would you suggest wiring it as a straight humbucker? I personally never use the 2nd position, but would like to have the option if it sounds right.

End rant... Thank you : )

2. Mincer

Mincer Member

Is it wired the standard way? If wired correctly, you shouldn't hear any single coil in the bridge position, unless it is wired a strange way. A correctly wired JB Trembucker shouldn't sound anything like a single coil if wired the standard way.

a person likes this.
  3. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

You may be hearing the scale length. A nominally “stock” spec humbucker will not sound like a Les Paul when it’s moved into a Fender scale guitar. There is a stringy, lively character of the Fender scale that remains. In Fenders, I find a lot to admire about hotter humbuckers, either via coil changes or magnetic changes, whereas, in a Les Paul , those louder pickups don’t sound great, to me.

4. Metalmike117

Metalmike117 Member

The guitar is 3 months old bought new from Sweetwater. It's stock, I feel like a SH-4 JB would be ideal or maybe a PAF master Dimarzio.

5. Mincer

Mincer Member

A JB will absolutely sound exactly like a humbucker should, strat body or not. A Custom is also a good choice, especially if you like a traditional PAF-type smile EQ curve.

6. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

a straight-up duncan 59 trembucker makes a terrific strat bridge pickup.

it won't wildly overpower the single coils, splits well with a middle strat pickup and gets a great rock sound with heavy overdrive but you still hear the character of the guitar itself.

(trembucker both for the wider string spacing and because it comes with 4-conductor wire)

8. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Supporting Member

9. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

+1

10. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I'm with @Mark Robinson : strats twang, even with humbuckers. A strat with a humbucker responds like a strat, only with a humbucker. I think some of what you're hearing is down to that.

walterw likes this.
  11. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

The JB has a great split sound, but is pretty powerful in humbucking mode relative to single coils. Since you already have a PAF-ish level humbucker in the neck and the overwound Players single coil in the middle, I'm sure the JB would balance out fine with some height adjustment.
    The only catch is polarity when mixing Duncan and Fender pickups, it may take a wire swap or two on the Duncan to operate in phase with the middle PU. There is also a chance that if it requires reverse polarity to be in phase, it may split to the bridge side coil vs the inside coil. It's a different, kind of brighter position #2 sound, but still quacky.

12. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

that's the fun part of mixing different pickups in the same guitar :bonk

if your humbucker is in the right polarity but splits to the wrong coil, the trick is to take that pickup's hot and ground wires and put them together to become the new coil-splitting connection, then take apart the old coil-splitting connection to become the new hot and ground wires. once done, one way with the new hot and ground wires will be out of polarity and leave the wrong split coil on, the other way will put both things right.

bigtone23 likes this.
  13. jcs

jcs Member

Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge will change the character of a Strat.....i like em there personally and you can wire in parallel or the split for other tones besides the standard series wiring (which is full and punchy and still cleans up well).

70 Mach 1 likes this.
  14. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

^^^^
    Did this last year to my american special.
    Keep it split to pair off with the 2 TS.
    Come solo time i drop the hammer into full HB mode
    Guitar sings like no other strat i ever played
    Its become my #1

And its not F spaced
    Just a regular 1980 Super D

jcs likes this.