Humbucker sized P90s

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by frankhuzzah, Sep 16, 2006.

1. frankhuzzah

frankhuzzah Member

It almost saddens me to say this, but I've totally fallen out of love with my Epiphone Supernova. What was once my go to guitar for everything has been relegated to the corner with my old crappy Mexi-Strat. I can't, in good concious, let this happen. I'm looking to change things up with some humbucker sized P90s. Right now I've got Gibson 57 Classics (57+ in the bridge) in there, but they just don't keep up with my other guitars.

What do you guys recommend?

2. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Hi,

I just put a custom tele together and used the Dimarzio Bluesbucker pickups in it. I am not a P-90 enthusiest so I may not be as picky as someone who is but these pickups to my ear sound real good, they are hum canceling and are very inexpensive. Whats not to like.....!

3. rooster

rooster Member

Bill Lawrence L-610.

rooster.

4. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

Harmonic Design Z-90s are without peer. Their Classic Humbuckers are fantastic also. I put a set of those in my 335 to bring it to life, you might want to check those out too.

5. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

Although I agree with the sentiments of this post, and absolutely love the sound of my Z-90s, there is a caveat.

The Z-90s are unique, and have their own character. Great if that is the tone you want, but not so great if you are looking for a traditional P-90 sound.

-jm

6. frankhuzzah

frankhuzzah Member

What I'm looking to get is that good P90 crunch that cuts through anything. I think my problem with the 57 Classics is that I'm looking for more cut and less cream these days.

I was also toying with the idea of putting a P90 in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge. I'm not sure yet, all I know is that the guitar is in desperate need of a change.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions though!

7. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

I agree with Carbz.... and would add that the Dimarzio Bluesbuckers are much more single coil sounding then P-90 sounding...which I prefer...

Remember that a P-90 is usually pretty raw and doesn't clean up all that well when you turn the volume pot down...

8. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Agreed.

I'm looking to scrap the Z90s on one of my axes right now. What would you recommend for a HB-sized P90-style PUP that truly sounds like a P90?

E.g., I'm currently considering Gibson 994s or Fralin Split Poles.

9. Jon Silberman

10. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

What don't you like about the Z-90s? Might be good to know what you're looking for.

From the reviews I checked out and the sound samples I heard, I think the SD Phat Cats sound more like a P-90. I wonder how the metal casing affects the tone, however.

I'm assuming you meant Gibson P-94s ... My bet is they'll sound closer to P-90s than the Fralins, since the Fralins are not true single coil. I suspect that the Fralin's would be quieter, though, as they'd have hum canceling from the split single coils.

But, that's a guess, albeit educated. I have no practical experience with either.

-jm

11. Jon Silberman

I do like the Z90s and plan for now to keep my 2nd set in another guitar (Godin LGX-SA) which is a true solidbody but the set I have now in my Reverend Rocco, a phenolic resin top and back axe with mostly space inside which has an open, airy sound to begin with, haven't been cutting it for me for some time. I'm shooting for a more trad P90 tone for that one.

Thanks for your suggestions!

12. monstermike

monstermike Member

Really? Every P-90 guitar I've owned cleans up beautifully with the volume pot, better than humbuckers or Strats. It depends a lot on the P-90 and using the correct pots and wiring (the Gibson "50's wiring" goes a long way towards achieving this), but a great P-90 gets nice and clear when the volume is rolled off. I remember reading an interview with Jason Lollar where he commented that his favorite thing about P-90s was this volume interaction, where the midrange drops out a bit when you turn down.

13. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

Gibson P94s sound like P90s in the HB2 semi-hollowbody I put them in.

The P94s replaced a set of HD z90s. P94s balanced pups and guitar. The HDs were more about the pups.

(IMHO)

14. Dana-L

Dana-L Supporting Member

Do you have an example of (or a link to an example of) this type of wiring?

Thanks!

-Dana

15. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Well Fralin made some humbucker sized P90s which are excellent.

16. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

17. Jon Silberman

Just pulled the trigger on a pair of GFS Mean 90's, their new humbucker-size P90 pickup that unlike the GFS Dream (and Z90s), is supposedly voiced as a true P90. Will share my reactions once I've got 'em installed.

P.S. Interested persons, keep your eyes open in the Emporium, in a couple of weeks or three, for a pair of reasonably-priced Z90s, white.

18. martyncrew

martyncrew Gold Supporting Member

Jon - you NEED the Vintage Vibe P90s, great pickups in a Reverend. Pete offers either std or hb sized options. I have the std sized ones in my SSC and love them and just put an hb sized VV P90 in a Burny LP Jr and anm equally impressed.

19. mainsale

mainsale Member

Just drop a set of Lindy Fralin P-92's in that bad boy and thank me later!!!

20. Jon Silberman

These are all great suggestions but I couldn't resist pulling the trigger on the GFSs at $37 and change apiece (no typo!).

I'll post a review when they're here and installed (around 9/30 or so, I'm guessing).

P.S. I love Lindy's stuff. Besides having a pair of Unbuckers and a Steel Pole 43 on my Jerrycaster, Lindy rewound the stock bridge PUP on my '67 Hagstrom Viking I to perfection!