Humbucker sized pickup that sounds like a Tele

dwolfggc

So I've been GASing for a tele(right now all i have is an LP), but what I realized that all i really want is the neck pickup sound.

So is there a a pickup i can put in the neck slot of my Les Paul that will get me close to that sound? To be honest I've never really tried a P90, is that what I'm looking for? Or just a certain type of coil tapped pickup?

any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell should put you in the ballpark.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
Never had a Tele, although there sound is distinct. The only thing I can think of that you could retrofit into a humbucker cavity for that type sound maybe a P-Rail. W/ the 3 type pickup options in a P-Rail, either the single coil or the P90 selection may get you close to that sound. But the single coil on the P-Rail would probably emulate the Tele sound the closest. On the 335, the P90 selection on the P-Rail may emulate that sound, but more than likely a Thinline rather than a Tele.

Maybe worth emailing Fralin, Seymour Duncan, etc....

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
anybody got any experience with the p-rails?

I love the P-Rails, have them in sets in a LP and an Epi LP. I have them set-up w/ a push/pull tone pot for series/parallel configuration and 2 on-on-on mini toggles for coil selector.
They are awesome pups, hot pups and a hell of a tonal variety especially w/ the series/parallel configuration. Definitely well worth looking into. Of course, the sound from them will not replicate a Strat...but w/ the coil options, it definitely makes it more fun to play just to experiment w/ the sounds.

kludge

The droid you're looking for
A Harmonic Design Z90, adjusted properly, might get you in the ballpark. But the Tele sound isn't just the neck pickup... it's scale length, the bolt-on joint, the maple neck, and other factors.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom