• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Humbucker suggestion for Vela

Paul Conway

Got a used Vela (having always played a strat) and am generally enjoying it. However, I want to tame a little of the snappiness in the neck position, tighten up the lows on the bridge position and generally add a bit of body and midrange authority (all the strings sound a bit thin).

For the last and first point I figured I'd raise the action and go with 11's. (Eventually, I'd like something noiseless in the neck.) So what I could use is a suggestion for the bridge pup. I'm not after some insane deathbucker but clarity and tightness would be good.

twoheadedboy

Got a used Vela (having always played a strat) and am generally enjoying it. However, I want to tame a little of the snappiness in the neck position, tighten up the lows on the bridge position and generally add a bit of body and midrange authority (all the strings sound a bit thin).

For the last and first point I figured I'd raise the action and go with 11's. (Eventually, I'd like something noiseless in the neck.) So what I could use is a suggestion for the bridge pup. I'm not after some insane deathbucker but clarity and tightness would be good.
It sounds like you want something with more midrange. That'll give the impression of a tighter bottom end and smoother top end. As I understand it, the pickups in the Vela are supposed to be Grestch-y, which usually implies a scooped EQ curve. Most PAF-style humbuckers will have a more midrangey EQ curve than the pickups in the Vela. If it were me, I'd go with a medium output (maybe 8-8.5 k) A5 PAF-style humbucker in the bridge position with a P90 or Firebird pickup in the neck position.

kbgear

Silver Supporting Member
IME: I'd agree with Firebird in the neck (the Lollar is great) and either the USA Starla pickup or a Lollar El Rayo in the bridge.

kbgear

Silver Supporting Member
Excellent, many thanks.
I just realized you're in the UK. I'd really love to try out the Creamery Pickups Classic '65 Staple. It sounds like it would suit the Vela and it would look bada55 as well. It looks like it's only available in 2-wire, so it would be out of phase with the USA Starla bridge I have. :( GAS indication #13: wanting to by another Vela just to experiment with pickups. :facepalm

Paul Conway

I'll look into it.

I'm really trying to find something that will let me move betwee n jazz, funk and rock. I like a dry and clear sounding pickup rather than mattress-in-front-of-amp tone, if you get my drift.

kbgear

Silver Supporting Member
I'll look into it.

I'm really trying to find something that will let me move betwee n jazz, funk and rock. I like a dry and clear sounding pickup rather than mattress-in-front-of-amp tone, if you get my drift.
Gotcha. I prefer an open tone as well, since you can tame a guitar's frequency response but you can't add it back. I use the Firebird pickup tapped as much as humbucking, but it certainly doesn't lack brightness either way and I think it would float your boat. The stock Vela neck pickup sounds really good ('50s Teleish), but it's not a true single coil and you can hear and feel the high-end roll-off.

That's also why I like the El Rayo: it has an uncompressed high-end spank that's pretty unique for a humbucker in my limited experience.

Anyway, keep us posted!

Paul Conway

I think someone dropped in a treble bleed because turning down vol on the neck brings a whole world of icepick.

kbgear

Silver Supporting Member
I think someone dropped in a treble bleed because turning down vol on the neck brings a whole world of icepick.
PRS installs a very mild (IMO) 180pF bleed cap, but someone could have installed the more extreme and more common bleed network. Either that or you're used to a strongish treble roll-off. But cutting a tiny cap is pretty easy. :) Something about the S2 line makes them really fun to mod, especially since the rest of the guitar is Solid.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom