Humbucker Suggestions for Rock / Hard Rock

I have an ESP Viper that is in need of some new pickups. It has the stock standard pickups. I have been looking at going with either the Custom Wound PAFs, or the Kent Armstrong High Outputs, Hot Rod Vintage or Distortion pickups. Both are new to me so anyone that might have used these please do chime in.

Musical Style: Anything from classic rock to modern hard rock.
Rig: In the works right now. I generally use an Overdrive for pushing the amp over the top when needed. Other than that, its pretty much straight in. Amp (I'm in the process of building it) would be something between a JCM800 and a modern hotrodded SLO.

Bruceman

The stock original first DiMArzio PAF replacement in my SG is the baddest.
Eveyone, and I mean that in capital letters, when they hear my sound goes, "THAT'S what I'VE been looking for."

So, guess you know what I like. I tried all of the "hotter" "brighter" pups. This thing is just right. See my link below.

hammersig

Silver Supporting Member
I agree, I have Jazz/JB in all of my Les Pauls and my Flying V, and they are the hard rock pickup. Not overly compressed, still vintage flavor, just enough of it to give your signal a lil kick.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
A bit pricey, but I'm lovin my WCR Fillmores for that type stuff. I would also consider one of the hotter offerings from Bryan Gunsher (BG Bucker). I agree that the Custom Custom is nice, especially with fairly distorted tones, and the JB is also a good choice (very vocal pickup, but not as complex as the others, not much sparkle). I never quite bonded with the Jazz - I guess its okay if you play really clean funk stuff.

lespaulreedsmith

Silver Supporting Member
My superstrat has a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge, a Duncan '59 in the neck and an SSL-5 in the middle... After about 6 or 8 pickup switches I found this combo completely rocked....
Even the cleans on these two humbuckers are pretty phenomenal (yeah, even the Custom Custom!):aok

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
If you really want it to rock try a set pf Duncan Distortions. Great very underrated pickups for good ol rNr.

My viper is a project guitar that I picked up for pretty cheap. So far it looks like the JB/59 or Custom Custom with something else combo.

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like you don't want to look at the pricier pickups like WCRs.

And that's OK, because Duncan makes some great stuff that you can get cheap all day long. The JB/'59 is tried and true and sounds great. '59/'59 is not bad either, a bit less ballsy in the bridge.

Trending Topics