Humbucker that fits in a P-90 slot

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by philamag87, Feb 7, 2012.

1. philamag87

philamag87 Silver Supporting Member

I just got a 60's Tribute LP and I really dig it but I'm gettin that itch to wonder what humbuckers would sound like in this guitar. In theory I could start routing the guitar to make humbuckers fit. However, I would prefer not to try that.

So are there mini-humbuckers that just drop in without modifying the guitar? What do they sound like? Are they similar to full size humbuckers? If they made a 60's Tribute with humbuckers like the 50's Tribute I would buy it today!!

2. Kriskov

Kriskov Silver Supporting Member

I had a tele with low end p90's and I put new hums in there and it is now the perfect guitar. The pickups were Dimarzios, Bridge P90 Super Distortion, model DP209, Neck, DLX Plus model DP162. These drop right in the existing rout, no modification needed. I know that Vintage Vibe makes this type of pickup, as well, I think Harmonic design. Just look for P90 sized humbuckers. Well worth the switch. Zhangbucker makes some killer mini humbuckers that fit also, and he's a great guy to deal with.

3. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

I think mini HBs fit in without modding. From what I've seen. Never tried it myself though

4. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Member

You won't ever have to rout to replace P90's with mini's but there are some tricks to it. Lollar has a great Youtube series on putting mini's in a P90 guitar. He covers everything.

5. starjag

starjag Member

TV Jones soapbar mount? Lots of options. I am drooling about a supertron neck and classic plus bridge combo.

6. cherrick

cherrick Member

If you are going to do this consider Gibson Firebird pickups.

7. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

Firebird or LP Deluxe Mini's in LP Deluxe Rings will drop in. So will some TV Jones and my favorite P90 sized HB is a Bill Lawerence Mini Hum.

8. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

Soapbar P90's are narrower but also longer (side to side) so a wider route is only half the fix. You sometimes need special wider pickup rings to hide the edge of the hole.

I dropped a set of DiMarzio DLX pickups into a Melancon P90 Artist and added a pair of mini switches for series/split/parallel and it's now my #1... But that being said, I happen to like the sound of a humbucker with a slightly scooped EQ curve. YMMV.

DLX pickups are rather hot, but sound very articulate due to asymmetrical winding and other tricks which scoop some of the mids that would normally be prominent in a hotter pickup. Sounds like a PAF or Gretsch on steroids, still has the scoop and the bite but hotter. My Bly quibble is that they wind the neck PUP almost as hot as the bridge; I'd prefer a bit more difference in output.

9. philamag87

philamag87 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for all the responses!! I haven't decided on a HB yet but at least I got a good place to start. I like the Lollar mini humbucker and really dig the installation video!! How do his sound compared to a regular humbucker?

10. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

I recently dropped in a couple of inexpensive GFS min-HBs in my PRS SE II Soapbar Maple with great results.

11. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Different. Minis don't sound like full size buckers. Typically, they're a little more clear, more high end and without the huge mids in a P90 or full size HB.

There are different mini flavors, so you might find something you like.
    My preference is the Duncan SM-3. Kinda splits the difference between a humbucker and a Fender pickup. Clear, great bass but fat and sounds great with some drive.