Humbucker without honk in mids

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ianblond, Dec 17, 2009.

1. ianblond

ianblond Member

Hello `ive just bought nice all mahogany Alden zemaitis copy with metal top - it has poor very middy and lifeless sounding pickups.I want to swap these pickups for classic not ovewound , bright but warm Paf sound but without typical honky midrange.what are your suggestions? Are Gibson 57 similar to my description? Maybe Seymour Duncan? both brands are easy available here....
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Baloney

Baloney Senior Member

I prefer the Dimarzio PAF Pro but DUncan seems to have more options to choose from. The Pearly Gates is a nice warm pick up.

3. doc

doc Member

Most PAF style pickups have some "honk" to them. You might try some Andersons or Bill Lawrence pickups, they tend to be more "accurate" without being "sterile". Bardens would be a pricier alternative for a sound similar to the Lawrence pickups. WCR makes "smooth" sounding PAF style pickups. Do you know who made the current pickups in your axe?

4. ianblond

ianblond Member

I know this pickup but it was too middy for me....maybe regular Dimarzio Paf....

5. brewhound

brewhound Member

Try a Bill Lawrence L500 or L600 in whatever output level you desire from Bill & Becky (Wilde USA). I have an L-500XL and it is very clear, articulate and full range but still pushes the front end like a high-output pup should.

6. marscottm

marscottm Member

TV Jones, Lollar Imperial/underwound?

7. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

DiMarzio PAF Classics are warm, clear, articulate and not honky. Ditto for the Duncan Alnico II Pro, a very nice underrated singing, clear humbucker.

8. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

I love the L500s. Really hot pups without being harsh are shrill like some of the other hot ones. I have some L350s that are also really nice. More vintage sounding than the 500s but still plenty hot for about any kind of music. I love them.

9. cugel

cugel Member

my lollar or my goodwoods have zero honk. it maybe as much as how you have everything set up as to the pickup. i hate the honk as typified by artic monkey's song "..dancefloor" awful awful tone. i had that same tone with a JB thru a mesa mkIII

10. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

Wade at www.motorcitypickups.com makes pickups that are very balanced across the spectrum, with vintage flavor, but not honky. I have a set of Hell Babies that are really nice and round, and not too midrange-forward, in a mahogany bodied/necked guitar. People speak very highly of his other pickups as well.

11. jcground

jcground Member

I have three humbucker equipped guitars currently, one with WCR Goodwoods, one with DiMarzio PAFs, and one with PRS McCartys. I like the DiMarzios the least of the three, and have considered swapping them out. The McCartys have the least compressed tone to my ear, but I believe that's because they may have lower output than the others. (Great jazz pup with the tone rolled back a little.) The Goodwoods are excellent pickups, but I think of their sound being fat, so perhaps what they are best at is the tone you are trying to avoid.

One suggestion: whatever pickups you decide on, I'd recommend getting 4-lead pickups and wiring them to allow them to be used with the coils in series and in parallel. Parallel hums are noiseless, but don't have any of the compressed beef of the traditional series wiring. They don't sound like single coils, but parallel wiring gives an extremely useful, crisp tone. I think that may help you get the sound you're looking for.

12. ImmortalSix

ImmortalSix Member

I have tried a buttload of humbuckers in my 335 and the only pickups I would describe as "without mid honk" are Gibson Burstbucker Pros (Alnico 5)

I actually don't like this about them, but the grass is always greener.

13. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

The PAF pro has alot Of midrange honk

14. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

duncan '59 - thread over

15. Bleak

Bleak Member

It may be too hot, but the Dimarzio Steve's Special is not middy at all.

16. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I was going to recommend these before I even saw your post. The burstbucker pro is very well balanced with no mid honk, imo. I absolutely love em. If you want more mids, turn up the mid knob on your amp or use an eq pedal. I like a non mid honk tone for rhythm, then for leads I use an eq to bump the mids.

Ironically, I also have another guitar with a JB in it and that has a somewhat honky tone but it's got so much balls that it makes up for it. I like both the JB and the BB pro equally.

But back to the original question, the BB pros are probably what you're looking for.

17. ianblond

ianblond Member

Thanks for everybody ! Many good choices !

18. Zero

Zero Member

The simplest solution is to use the neck pickup. The position itself - near the bridge - is alway going to somewhat midrange pronounced.

19. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Member

20. ianblond

ianblond Member

My luthier has replaced original pickup with Gibson 57 plus.Original pickup was 15K so there is big difference now but sound is still too middy.He `s made intonation , checked pots and caps and conclusion is : this guitar is comfortable but rather bright and not full sounding.I should find fat and warm sounding low output alnico II pickup i suppose.My next target is SD APH1.