Humbuckers: Better sound covered or uncovered?

ngativ

If you remove these pole piece screws and reassemble the pickup, it will not work. Yet if what you say is true, it should since the strings are still magnetized, and there is a magnetized plate above the strings and below the coil, in very close proximity to the strings. The field has to be manipulated through the coil.
Maybe because you need the screw poles to magnetically polarize the strings in the first place? Obviously, you need to magnetize the string some how. Placing it in a arbitrary magnetic field is not enough. For instance, you can magnetize well the string this way:

....................|S|.................... pole
....................|N|....................
N=======S==S======N= string
But not this way

=================== string
....................|S|....................
....................|N|.................... pole

Despite of the fact that in the second case the string is surrounded by a magnetic field. See? So you need to study better that particular pickup

If you don't want to take my word for it, try it yourself. Take a fender single coil with a plastic bobbin, pull out the pole pieces and set it under the strings. hold a magnet above the string. That magnet is now magnetizing the string, yet you will not have any output from the coil.
Obviously, by just magnetizing the string you will not get all of the sudden a signal. The goal is pass the variable magnetic field coming from the string throughout the coils. In that arrangement, most of the magnetic field lies between the string and the magnet, but not the coil. That's why the signal is poor.

But if you place a strong magnet at the other side, outside of the coil, with the coil between the string and the magnet, you will get much better results: faraday's law

Mreilander

Maybe because you need the screw poles to magnetically polarize the strings in the first place? Obviously, you need to magnetize the string some how. Placing it in a arbitrary magnetic field is not enough. For instance, you can magnetize well the string this way:
What you just described is a manipulation of the field of the pole piece.

N=======S==S======N= string
But not this way

=================== string
....................|S|....................
....................|N|.................... pole

Despite of the fact that in the second case the string is surrounded by a magnetic field. See? So you need to study better that particular pickup
I know that pickup quite well. It is layed out like this (I had to put dashes where there should be blank space in order for it to space out properly):

(N)..............Steel Plate.................(N)
M---o----o----o----o----o----o-----M
A --------^strings------------------ A
G-- [I---- I----I]---[I----I-----I]----G
---- ^pole pieces
(S)..............Steel Plate............... .(S)

[ ] = coil
The strings are polarized, yet removing the polepieces does not allow it to work. You need the polepieces to redirect the flux lines through the coil, so that the string can manipulate the lines of flux within the coil.

Believe what you want. I am throwing in the towel.

GhostMan

In my case with a Jackson with added pup covers it hurt the sound. With an LP, I can't tell you, other then I couldn't get a well defined clean out of it. Metal will change a magnetic field. Good bad or indifferent, I don't know. On my guitars, none of the buckers have covers, nor would I add one.

Trending Topics