Humbuckers in a Strat ... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Phil Harmoneeek, May 6, 2008.

1. Phil Harmoneeek

Phil Harmoneeek Member

My other guitar player has a couple of Strats, one with a swimming pool route & he's thinking about a couple PAF types ... anyone do it / like it? Saw a clip of Widespread Panic & one of the guys had one ... sounded pretty good, not like a
    Strat though.

Thanks Randall

2. sixty-four

sixty-four Member

Some guy had some pretty good results putting a PAF in Strat-bodied guitar back in '78, but it might've been the crazy stripes he painted on too ;)

Seriously, I like the sound of it. It's not a Strat or a LP type sound but a humbucker in a Strat sounds great to me.

3. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I've done that to my Strat and it sounds good. You have to keep the pup low in the pickguard b/c of the string angle (which seemed a little weird to me). I like my Strats with Fralin SP43's (P-90's in a Strat size pup)

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I've had a Strat in the Big Apple / Double Fat Strat configuration for some time. The 5 way switch gives you Neck humbucking; neck single; both humbucking; both inner coils only (the closest to the "quack" sounds); and the bridge humbucking. The pickups are a Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge and a Duncan 59 in the neck. There are a lot of very usable sounds there.

[​IMG]

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Tom Anderson guitars are a perfect example of how good this kind of guitar can sound & play. Or check out a John Suhr...equally brilliant.

I have a strat with a pair of Suhr DSV's wired by Acme and it sounds fantastic. I chose the DSV's as they are lower output by comparison and the articulation is wonderful. They're not going to crush the front end of your amp like the Doug Aldrich pickups, but I get first rate tone that cleans up nicely and I don't lose note definition with complex chords.

Just remember to get a trem-spaced (sometimes called f-spaced) bridge pickup (53mm) so the strings line up with the pole pieces.

6. Phil Harmoneeek

Phil Harmoneeek Member

So what about something like a WCR Crossroads or BetSet.

Thanks Randall

7. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

worked(s) for robbie robertson!

8. randall g

randall g Member

Well, have your buddy get 2 humbuckers that can be split, and have a 5-way switch, and you have have quite a few cool sounds.

Not a Strat with singles, and not near the low end thump or high end sizzle of a Les Paul, but it still can sound great.

9. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Wasn't this what the 80's were about? And don't forget Fast Eddie Clarke:dude

10. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I love 'em in a strat, it makes it super versatile guitar when you mix singles too. I just got an HSS strat and love that I can play so many styles on one guitar.

No it ain't gonna sound like a 2" thick chunk of mahogany Les Paul, but a strat with a bucker is a little ruder, and more open with tons of harmonics and a big wide sound with those lows. Maybe due to the longer scale length. Les Paul are real sweet and compressed with that chunk in the middle.

11. oscar100

oscar100 Member

p90 in bridge good - not a hb fan myself

12. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky, Anderson, Suhr, Tyler, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, etc all make guitars like this.

They can sound amazing.

13. Zero

Zero Member

Putting a humbucker in my Strat was the first thing I modified before getting a Floyd Rose put in it. I can't stand the noise and thin sound of the stock pickups.

These days though you can get a single sized hum and not chop up the body and pickguard, something that wasn't around when i did it.

14. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

That's how I feel about it :AOK

15. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

That looks cool. How the heck did you strip the poly off?

16. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I always dug Hiram's old Strat:

[​IMG]

17. rivaeast

rivaeast Member

I'm a purist I guess.... that combination is an abomination...:)
    Now before you all get freaky.... I know it can be very toneful and is popular .... just not my thing personally

18. jleung

jleung Member

I made a partscaster not too long ago with a mahogany body, maple neck and rosewood fretboard with 25.5 scale. It has two Lollar Imperials in with a three way switch. It sounds great but took some getting used.

19. yumanike

yumanike Member

I've got a Dimarzio Fred that I can split in the bridge position. I spend most of my playing using the Texas Specials in the neck and middle position though.

20. alivegy

alivegy Member

It's not going to sound right or wrong, just different. I had an SD custom 70, which is a moderatly low output humbucker paired with two fralin blues specials in a strat copy. It worked fairly well and was a versitle guitar. Most humbuckers are going to want to see a 500k volume pot like a gibson, and most single coils are going to want to see 250k like fender so there is some compromise involved. The low-output humbucker worked well to keep a consistent volume between the pickups but the sound was distinctly warm humbucker all the way. When it came time to get a new guitar I opted for a traditional sss strat configuration as I would rather have two guitars that each do their particular sound very well, rather than one that did each ok.