Humidifier for Electric (In Case)

Hey Everyone,

Right now, with the furnace running a lot, our house is between 24-28% humidity. I'd like to keep a humidifer in the case for my PRS (I've noticed the fretboard turning white a few times this winter).

Any recommendations? Is there something that I can throw in the case and not worry about?

Thank!

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Yes. D’Addario has these gel packs that work both ways. Keeps your guitar @ around 40/50%.. I use them with my USA Martin and keep it in the hard case.......there’s ones for cigars that others have mentioned that are probably cheaper, but I’m not familiar with them....

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Your so welcome :)

The first time you chuck one in the case it won’t last very long , especially if it’s a wood hard shell but once the case itself is properly humidified they will last much longer
:beer
Thanks.. good to know:):)

A damp sponge in a ziplock sandwich bag with some holes punched in it....
I've done that for all my electrics since the 70s. Works fine. You can also put the sponge in a travel soap container with a few holes in it.

I'm using DiMarzio humidifiers (the high-absorption sponge ones) in my acoustics, which are more critical/less forgiving. Ask me how I know...
But even those can be re-moistened and used indefinitely.

I can't see paying for a single-use solution that you need to replace every time. Maybe if I only had one or two guitars it would seem more practical.

Coiled

I use these things

Boveda
4.6 out of 5 stars 376Reviews
Boveda 49% RH 70 Gram, Patented 2-Way Humidity Control for Wood Instruments, (1) 12-Pack, overwrapped Boveda in Retail Carton, Protect Your Fretted and Bowed Instruments Against Cracking or Warping

Just a tip, I use Boveda packs for cigars and they are great. When they start to dry out you can use filtered water to plump them back up. They fatten right back to full size. Saves money as they aren’t cheap.

Trending Topics