humidifiers

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by kram21, Mar 2, 2012.

1. kram21

kram21 Member

I would appreciate very much some thoughts on humidifiers for both electric and acoustic guitars. My question is;if one has a room humidifier and you keep the guitars in their cases when not playing;will this be effective for providing humidification? thank you so much
    mark

2. vanderkalin

vanderkalin Member

I have it on decent authority that this shouldn't be that big of a deal. leave your guitar out on a stand if you like and look across the top occasionaly. If you start to see ripples it is getting dry, or if the slight convexity(?) starts to go away. you shouldn't have to worry about humidifying electrics at all, unless you live on the sun. I live in a climate that is pretty dry in the winter, and this works for me.one thing I have always wanted to know is, if you are going to use the sponge in a baggy method, why is it you are supposed to use distilled water?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  3. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

in-case humidification is not expensive and can be effective. I use an Oasis in-case humidifier and that Planet waves thing that measures the humidity. I have a dry house (especially in the winter) so I check and fill every two weeks with distilled water. Stays at about 50% R.H. in the case.

4. droptune

droptune Member

Between my dad and I, we over 100 acoustics and we use the Oasis ones you fill with a syringe and put between the strings. No problems. We also use Venta airwasher room humidifiers.

5. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Member

Then I'd question that "authority's" ears. Humidity is so much more than the endless discussions about damage it may or may not do to a guitar in the winter months. For some the increase (or to a lesser degree decrease) in humidity has an immediate effect on the tone of the guitar. My Breedlove 000 gets massively thuddy and duddy in as little as a day or two with humidity anywhere past 57%. There of course would be no visible outward signs that your authority is using as a barometer to compensate for emerging problems.

Further; humidity issues (and opinions) here and elsewhere are fragmented by the shear fact that a) everyone lives in dramatically different indigenous climates. It's painfully clear to me having a place in Los Angeles and in the mid-west that without any doubt "guitar care" takes on a Titanically different face. Someone in L.A. could never BEGIN to understand what someone in St. Louis endures during the summer months. b) Every guitar and guitar manufacturer seemingly has different tolerances for humidity challenges. Again a guy in L.A. with a tired and true old D-28 lives in a completely different "guitar care" universe than some one in St. Louis with a delicate 000 and humidity levels that show up in May and hover around the "insanity level" 24/7 until Thanksgiving.

I'm always highly puzzled when someone of authority minimalizes humidity issues without first disclosing the above information. Suggesting someone keep their guitars out on a stand if, say for instance, they live along the Ohio river in the mid-west and don't have central air conditioning is just plain bad advice, not so bad however if the live in the hill of Topanga.

6. AcousticDude

AcousticDude Member

I fill my humidifiers every week in each guitar case. And yes, they are kept in a closed case when not being played. This routine is year-round except that I don't refill the humidifiers as often in the spring and summer. The northeast is cruel to guitars in the winter. A guy in my band had a Maton which had a severe crack along the top. It definitely could have been prevented with proper humidification.

Also, if you don't have the right humidity consistently, you begin to feel the fret ends sticking out and notice the tuning is less stable. I use a Kyser sound hole humidifier with a Planet Waves small instrument humidifier at the headstock. I keep my hygrometer handy to check the status of the humidity when the temperatures really drop. Seems like a lot of folks like the Oasis humidifier. I haven't tried it but may do so - seems to get a lot of endorsements here!

7. kram21

kram21 Member

thank you ; i may be moving from La.[a great state for guitars-no humidifiers necessary] to west texas -land of low humidity

8. sublimeaudio

sublimeaudio Silver Supporting Member

I use this one in a small room where I keep all of my guitars out on stands. I love being able to just pick them up and play. The humidifier works great - the only hassle is it needs to be refilled every few days. If I'm going away I'll put them in their cases with a humidifier in the case.

I have a Martin that the top cracked on about 6 years ago because I wasn't using humidifiers, so I'm pretty vigilant about it now.

http://www.essickair.com/products/humidifiers/humidifier-categories/essick-air-whole-house/4d7-800

9. joeprs

joeprs Member

If you don't use distilled water, the sponges will get caked up with minerals and other crap and need to be replaced more frequently. I used sponges in freezer bags with holes with good results when living in NY.
    In NV, my guitar cases ended up invaded with ants looking for water. I replaced all of my homemade humidifiers with Oasis with great results. The good thing about the Oasis is not over humidifying the guitars which is bad just like not enough humidity. In my opinion, the Oasis is the best and easiest to use. I top off my acoustics twice a week and my electrics weekly. I could go longer, but prefer this routine.