Humidifiers.....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jared Purdy, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Member

Greetings,

Here in the north, the furnace has kicked in and it's sucking a lot of moisture from the air. To compensate, I'm thinking of buying a humidifier.

Got any suggestions? There's quite a few on the market.

2. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Here too.

I don't like keeping guitars in cases with humidifiers in the cases since I tend to play them less.

I have a $30 humidifier, but it's annoyingly loud. I'd prefer one that cycles on and off and can keep the room at 45% RH.

3. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Member

Sorry, maybe I should have been clearer, I'm talking about a room humidifier. The Oasis units are great for acoustic guitars, but not for a room! Obviously. There are many manufacturers: Honeywell, Air-O-Swiss, etc....

4. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I have a couple of cheap room humidifiers from Walmart made by sunbeam. I monitor the humidity in the room. I run one most of the time and two when it gets really cold outside.

5. Zuper

Zuper Member

Are you a Costco member? I have several of these: Bionaire Humidifier - They work great. Several have been going strong for a few years now. They require a yearly cleaning, which is pretty simple. You can set the RH for the room, which is not exact, but keeps a dry house humidity up during the winter, or in drier climates.

6. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I like to use distilled water in them.

[​IMG]

7. cranqued

cranqued Gold Supporting Member

8. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Member

Thanks folks. I'll check into the models mentioned. Some are easier to come by here than others. After having visited the local hardware store and doing an on-line review of a bunch, I'm leaning towards the Air-O-Swiss 7135 or the 7144. It's $200/$220, but has amazing reviews, and is easy to maintain.

9. BoogieManSC

BoogieManSC Member

I've religiously used them since the 90's after having an ebony fretboard on a Washburn Nuno split down the middle, for about 5 frets, literally overnight.

I'd suggest using the user reviews on Amazon. Each design has its pros and cons (steam, wick, uv features, cleaning procedure, repurchase of filters in some designs $$, on and on)...

Also buy yourself a hygrometer like this: http://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00613...TF8&qid=1418094824&sr=8-1&keywords=hygrometer

...to keep an eye on things. Your guitars will be a lot happier year round for you using the humidifier in winter months...Just don'task my old Nuno, wherever it may be these days....

10. DCFanatic

DCFanatic Member

I installed a Honeywell whole home humidified into my furnace this past summer for $250. I'm on a forced air gas furnace so it was very simple to install. I am not a tradesman and I had it installed in six hours.

I did obtain a quote from a local HVAC company and they quoted me $700 just for the install. Its very simple to do as long as you have access to the furnace.

Last weekend I bought a room humidifier from Canadian Tire for $60 because I am spending a year away from my house to do a military course. Its got a one gallon capacity and barely lasts 24 hours, I'd recommend just getting a whole home humidifier if you can so you don't have to constantly refill the thing.

11. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

I have the bionaire. Seems to work good. Had it for a year now.

I tossed the manual. How do you clean it ?

12. mango

mango Member

I use a little Honeywell 2 gallon room humidifier in my guitar room in the winter.
    It's more that enough for a 12x12 room.
    I have it plugged into an outlet timer,it cycles on/off every 2-3 hours,I only have to refill it every second or third day .

Looking into a whole house unit to install in my oil F/A furnace,although with a woodstove I'll need the room unit as well .

13. Blackmore's Hat

Blackmore's Hat Member

Agreed on the Vornados. Picked up one of these a few weeks ago. Works great. Much better than the drugstore types.

14. rrhea

rrhea Member

I have a room that's a little over 200+ sq. ft. I've gone through a number of humidifiers over the years and I think I finally found one that I like. It's the Walgreens rebranded HoMedics 1.5 gal cool/warm mist ultrasonic model (which is dead silent). I use only the cool mist mode. Works really well, although at the highest output it can sputter water causing a wet spot on the floor in front, but this is easily taken care of using a pad or (as I use) a door mat underneath the unit. I rarely need to run it that high, anyway.

I also have a very accurate cigar hygrometer called the Calibur III that I place far from the humidifier, as well as from the HVAC vent. With this setup I am able to open/close certain doors in the room at different times and/or adjust the unit's output to keep the relative humidity between 48% and 52% at all times.

I've tried a bunch of stuff and this is the outfit that's working for me the best thus far. Depending on the size of your room and how well it seals up with doors and windows closed, you *may* need a second unit to run in tandem (especially up north), so just be prepared for that. I have a noisier fan based unit that I keep for really cold nights when running two in tandem makes more sense than running one wide open.

Oh, and I filter all my water through a Britta pitcher before putting it into the reservoir. This virtually eliminates the dreaded white dust problem with ultrasonic units. Even better (and more convenient) would be to install a sink mounted filtration system.

Happy Winter!

RR

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  15. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Member

We have one installed on our forced air furnace now, but it's not working, and I think that it might just be the pump, which as I understand is an easy replacement and about $100. Are you able to maintain 50% in your house?

16. veinbuster

veinbuster Member

I've had an Aprilaire attached to my forced air furnace for 20 years. I change the filter once a year and it has never had a problem. It keep the humidity in a 3 floor house around 40% in southern Ontario.

17. wcfields

wcfields Member

Same here. Using tap water, I was getting a white coating on everything...

18. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I use a whole-house unit from Essick. Holds 5 gallons of water. On it's higher settings it's a bit loud (the fan), tolerable for the winter season.

19. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Same here, a new pad every 2 yrs and constant 45-50% in winter in VA. Guitars are very happy.

20. The4thlast1

The4thlast1 Supporting Member

I soak a sponge in water and put one in every guitar case ...I have my guitars in the basement, with the heat running it gets pretty dry. I do have a Airoswiss Humidifier but even with it running I can't always get to 45% , I would probably need two units running together. What do you guys think about the sponge in the case...I just soak it in water again once it dries out.