Humidity/Temperature and Guitars

wildshoetwt

I've had a problem with all my guitars, over time they become sort of lifeless, and I only realized this after getting a new one today. I always LOVE my guitars when I first get them, only to find that over time they just get sold because I didn't bond with them.

Then something hit me, I remember some Captain Beefheart about leaving your guitar in a dark area with a saucer of water to keep it humid.

I store my guitars about 6 feet from a window that blows dry California desert air when it's open, and its one of the brightest areas of my room.

And then another thing struck me, everytime I take my guitar to my tech, he has a very humid but temperate shack that he stores all the guitars hes working on inside, and it's pretty dark in there.

So what's the story? How can I make this guitar last for me?

halo3628

Do you have A/C or a Swamp-cooler... personally i have a swamp-cooler so my house is basically a giant humidifier (*ARIZONA*) ... I you have A/C i would suggest getting one of those ceaph $20 humidphers at bed, bath & beyond and putting it colser to the guitars and try to keep the room humid... The brightness of a room does not matter because the wood is sealed which means it wont be affected by that to much.

Hope that helps

Schmidt

RH (relative humidity) should never go below 35% where guitars live! Keep in mind that dry air - not humidified - kills guitars and that wood generally loose humidity to the dry air twice as fast as they can absorb it from humidified air.

wildshoetwt

it seems that humidity in my area (91301) can be as low as 30% at this time of year, not sure about other times of the year

yikes, so is keeping the window closed in the room i keep the guitar in and keeping the a/c on a good enough solution?

=JL=

You're asking a valid question about temperature and humidity, but don't base anything on what Beefheart said!
He also said he threw his saxophone in the trash when it ran out of notes...

Schmidt

Where I live, we have 80% humidity! 'tropical rainforest'. Is it too wet for guitars?
Depends on which type of guitar... if it's a vintage ES-330 or 335 which is glued with hide glue (and TiteBond and phenolic formaldehyde) - it might harm at least the hide glue - which stick top and back to the sides (kerfed linings which is bonded to the sides with aliphatic glue like TiteBond original and to top/back with hiot hide glue). The phenolic formaldehyde used for laminating top, back and sides plies will not be affected in RH on 80.

Other types of guitars - such as LPs and Strats will make it unhurt thru the tropical nights :) That said: Most places in tropical reainforrest areas have air conditioning that will de-humidify the air to more "normal" values.

The wood itself is sensible to dry air rather than wet - except rapird changes (counts for rapid temperatur changes as well).

Trending Topics