Humor me: DRRI, Blues/Hot Rod Deluxe, Blues Jr.

Depending on the gig, I’m using either a 70’s Twin or a Blues Jr. for pedal steel guitar.

I’d like to have an amp that’s in between these two in power and weight, 30 to 40 watts, preferably 1x12.

What are the differences between DRRI and the Hot Rod Deluxe amp sections?

I’ve played thru both, was impressed by the “cut” of the Hot Rod Deluxe and the low end of the DRRI. The Hot Rod’s are a bargain all day long on Craigslist, so I'm inclined to go that way.

Whamosi

For frequent gigging, the HRDLx might need an upgrade to those plastic input jacks. That being said, it's a sweeeeeet amp. Can't speak about the power sections, tho.

KCWM

I owned a Hot Rod Deville and had a good number of headaches with it before I sold it. This was one of the "built in the USA" models, so it was supposedly of better construction. I also personally used 2 other Hot Rod models, both devilles. One was owned by a friend of mine and purchased around 1999 and the other was in a recording studio.

My friends worked great for a few months and then started having issues normally related to tubes. We bought new tubes, switched them out, and the amp was still having the same issues. It sat in his room for years while he used a solid state amp.

The one in the studio actually cut out in the middle of the song. It way that the sound was fighting to come out of it reminded me of how a fish's mouth looks when they are out of the water. Then we saw smoke coming from the back of the amp. I'm thinking smoke is never good.

There are plenty of HRDx owners out there who don't have issues. But, I've experienced 3 amps, and all three had issues.

I'd pick up a used DRRI and be done with it. From what I understand, with a speaker change and some nice tubes, it really cleans up well.

Rapmaster

I'd pick up a used DRRI and be done with it. From what I understand, with a speaker change and some nice tubes, it really cleans up well.
I'd agree. I just bought mine with an upgraded set of tubes and a weber alnico the other week, it really does sound superior to a stock one.

Trending Topics