Hurdy Gurdy Man Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by goodtone, Dec 16, 2009.

1. goodtone

goodtone Member

Cool Fuzz sound played on this 60's Donavan classic byAlan Parker if I'm correct. Many thought Jimmy Page played on this song. What fuzz did he use ? Tonebender ?

2. seiko

seiko Member

This one is a hard one to untangle: I've seen the fuzz guitar credited to Alan Parker, Jeff Beck, Alan Holdsworth and Jimmy Page over the years. Even though page has gone on record to say he didn't play on it.

Per the fuzz it can pretty much only be one of three or four boxes, probably something out of the early tonebender family.

3. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Sounds like a Maestro Fuzz

4. jellyroll

jellyroll Member

Sounds to me like an Italian Vox Tonebender, I believe that is the 1.5 if I am not mistaken. I have a PCE Lady Stardust and it sounds very, very much like the fuzz in Hurdy Gurdy Man to me.

5. jgyn

jgyn Member

6. Pinstripedclips

Pinstripedclips Senior Member

It was definitely Alan Parker, fuzz is anyones guess, but a British made Tone Bender is probably the most likely.

I had a go at the tone with my custom D*A*M MKII, HGM kicks in at about 3 min 40 secs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4b5OvvZ8BA

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

Definitely Alan Parker - sounds like a Tone Bender to me. Here's Alan Parker again on Scott Walker's "No Regrets" (solo about 4:00 mins in ).

I checked up on the Hurdy Gurdy Man a couple of years ago and Clem Cattini (the amazing drummer on Hurdy Gurdy Man) forwarded me an email from John Paul Jones confirming Alan as being the "electric guitar" player on that song. Go to this site and scroll about half way down to see JP's email, http://www.coda-uk.co.uk/clem_cattini.htm
    Personally I found it interesting that Eddie Kramer engineered it.....
    Best, Pete.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009