• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Hurdy Gurdy Man vs. White Rabbit

Hurdy Gurdy Man vs. White Rabbit

• Hurdy Gurdy Man

• White Rabbit

Results are only viewable after voting.

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
I love White Rabbit! Everytime I hear that song, it reminds me of a scene in the movie Platoon. It simple song about Alice in Wonderland and Graces voice is perfect for it! Whos on guitar? Paul Kantner?

I was told that the guitar work in Hurdy Gurdy Man was Jimmy Page. Can anyone confirm this? It sure sounds like him.

Solomon

It is not Page according to John Paul Jones who played bass and arranged the song (so says Wikipedia for what it is worth).

bluesjunior

I always thought it was Jeff Beck but decided to google it and came up with the following.
Quoted from Wikipedia
Donovan's next single, released in May 1968, was the swirling psychedelic classic "Hurdy Gurdy Man". In the liner notes from EMI's reissues, it is revealed that the song was intended for Donovan's old friend and guitar mentor Mac MacLeod, who had a heavy rock band called Hurdy Gurdy. After hearing MacLeod's power trio version, Donovan considered giving it to Jimi Hendrix, but when Mickie Most heard it, he convinced Donovan that the song was a sure single that he should record himself.
Donovan tried to get Hendrix to play on the recording, but he was on tour and unavailable, as was Jimmy Page who was out of the country touring with The Yardbirds. Instead the job went to a young British guitarist, Alan Parker. It is possible Jimmy Page did play on other tracking sessions for The Hurdy Gurdy Man LP, although this is unlikely, as the remaining guitar parts were acoustic only and played by Donovan except on "Tangier", which features Bert Jansch. John Paul Jones played bass with Clem Cattini on drums.
However, in the three-hour 2008 documentary DVD movie about Donovan's life and music directed by Hannes Rossacher, also titled "Sunshine Superman", Donovan himself states that Jimmy Page did indeed record guitar on the "Hurdy Gurdy Man" song, with John Paul Jones on bass and Jon Bonham on drums, with virtually all of Led Zepplin performing on that song except for lead singer Robert Plant. Jones and Page have both stated that Led Zeppelin was formed during "The Hurdy Gurdy Man" sessions.
The heavier sound of "Hurdy Gurdy Man" was a deliberate attempt by Most and Donovan to reach a wider audience in the US, where new hard-rock groups like Cream and The Jimi Hendrix Experience were having a major impact. In this case Most's commercial instincts were spot-on, and the song became one of Donovan's biggest hits, making the Top 5 in both the UK and the US, and the Top 10 in Australia.

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
Bluesjunior

Thanks for that piece of info! Thats some interesting stuff IF Wikipedia is correct. Now that it is mentioned, it does sound like Bonhams powerful drums!

jimfog

I always thought it was Jeff Beck but decided to google it and came up with the following.
Jeff Beck Group is on "Barabajagal"....another great tune.

Did a big show last year with a local Philly icon, and we encored with note for note versions of "Hurdy" and The Animals "Sky Pilot".......including bagpipes and fighter sounds! Fun stuff.

The heavier sound of "Hurdy Gurdy Man" was a deliberate attempt by Most and Donovan to reach a wider audience in the US, where new hard-rock groups like Cream and The Jimi Hendrix Experience were having a major impact. In this case Most's commercial instincts were spot-on, and the song became one of Donovan's biggest hits, making the Top 5 in both the UK and the US, and the Top 10 in Australia
Interesting... that's why the Yardbirds went from "Shapes Of Things" and "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago" to "Goodnight, Sweet Josephine" and "Ha Ha Said The Clown..."

(Most was the Yardbirds' producer as well)

GerryJ

Hurdy's a desert island classic. Still sounds wonderful, even as an mp3.
As a reviewer said long ago, "the lyrics are about how the cesspool that is society can still be saved by love."
Everything really clicked on that track.

As mentioned above, it's also burnished the reps of Jimmy Page, Allan Holdsworth, Jimmy Page and Keith Moon LOL.

...I always swore it had to be Moon....

trisonic

I checked on "Hurdy Gurdy Man" a couple of years ago. Clem Cattini who played drums on the record forwarded to me an email from John Paul Jones:

"To Whom It May Concern:
I have been contacted by Clem Cattini with regard to Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man.
I would like to confirm that the musicians on the record were as follows

Donovan: Acoustic Guitar (and vocal)

John Paul Jones: Arrangement/Musical Director and Bass Guitar

Alan Parker: Lead (electric) Guitar

Clem Cattini: Drums

No other musicians were involved in this session

The Session was produced by Mickie Most and engineered by Eddie Kramer
John Paul Jones
London 05/2005"

This email is reproduced on Clem Cattini's website.

Credit where it is due please. As a matter of interest Clem has played drums on over 40 Number 1 Singles in the UK.
Alan Parker is not the same person as the movie director.

Best, Pete.

Last edited:

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
I pick HGM.

I remember seeing a video of Donovan talking about songs and he even says "and here's where Jimmy Page comes in" or something like that.

Ah.......psychedelics!

trisonic

Yes and he claims he is responsible for the formation of Led Zeppelin......................................:jo

Best, Pete.

jimfog

I remember seeing a video of Donovan talking about songs and he even says "and here's where Jimmy Page comes in" or something like that.
It's very possible that Page wasn't "on the session" that JPJ was........the fuzz guitar sounds like an overdub AND sounds a lot like Page.

trisonic

It's very possible that Page wasn't "on the session" that JPJ was........the fuzz guitar sounds like an overdub AND sounds a lot like Page.
Yeah, right....and JPJ wouldn't know that being MD and the Arranger?
Give over, Jim!

Best, Pete.

Trending Topics