Hurra, got response from Ron Ellis!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Hatim, Oct 21, 2013.

1. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Oh, that solves it then. LOL.

Have your hearing checked lately? Clocked in time with great gear? Did an A-B comparison, using world class guitars and amps? Convinced the list of A-list stars who prefer Ellis that they are wrong too?

Or maybe you just can't hear it or have an ax to grind. Sheesh, the internet.

FWIW gentle readers, my sets of Ellis replaced Klein Epic 56, Mare Hot Bakelite, Wolfetone Dr. Vintage, Suhr ML and Mare Hayride. All were GREAT pickups, but to my ears and hands, Ellis has the edge, clearly.

2. jp1977

jp1977 Member

Unless he is mining the raw copper from a mineshaft in his backyard and hand smelting it for his own wire, there is no excuse for a 2 yr wait for a set of single coil pickups. He should send you a free set or a discount for the trouble and headache of having to call and email without even a courtesy update or acknowledgement.

3. mslugano

mslugano Supporting Member

Nope, I have never clocked time with great gear, my hearing is shot and I only learned how to play "Smoke on the Water" last week but you are categorically wrong and are hearing what you want to hear.

4. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

I haven't read this enitire thread but can anyone explain why Ron won't wait for payment until your set is ready to ship? That's my only complaint as I'm sure his pickups sound great. Given the length of his waiting list it seems a no brainer.

5. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

Because people are happy to pay up front and then sit around and wait over 2 years for something that takes 20 minutes to make.

6. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

No. You have to read the enitire thread first.

7. jp1977

jp1977 Member

Most likely because they aren't told 2 years up front, and in many cases guys around here won't even own the guitar they ordered the pickups for 2 yrs later. When u get the money up front you can take your sweet time. Don't forget that a long wait and a stressful ordeal combined with a high cost automatically means fantastic tone!

8. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

Haha, awesome.

9. XKnight

XKnight Member

Nothing like paying up front and waiting 2 years for your stuff to arrive when you can get something similar from other vendors within a few days. I think they teach this business model in modern MBA programs.

10. woof*

woof* Member

Never pay up front....other than a tiny deposit if needed. Never.

11. ngativ

ngativ Member

What?!?!?! Two years? For a coil? Madness

12. slopeshoulder

My latest Ellis set came in 3 weeks; I got it my guitar today, a low wind Bette neck and a Broadcaster bridge. It sounds like god. It is my 5th set, I plan to get 2 more sets (SSH: 59, 59 and Bette; and P-90's when he comes out with them). The first three sets took 18 months. I never heard of a two year wait, except maybe if something got lost. Ron has help now and is gaining speed. I get mine fast because 1. I'm a repeat customer, 2. I waited patiently and Ron felt bad, 3. I've been to his house and we've become friends, 4. I can play (if that matters) and 5. I am not a douche.
    Haters gotta hate. Enjoy your non-Ellis pickups and just get on with life.
    Mare Hot Bakelite set going into the Emporium in a few days, a great set BTW.

13. slopeshoulder

Your facility with reasoned argument, logic, and evidence are a thing to behold. :bonk:rotflmao:bonk

14. bilbal

bilbal Member

no thanks, I'll stay with Lollar and continue to be happy and not have to wait. Jason Lollar is a true gentleman and a master pickup builder.

15. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

Simply invoicing when you're ready to work on a customers order eliminates the problem. I wouldn't blame someone for having more demand for their product or service than they can quickly deliver, or for not being able to keep up with a heavy load of emails and inquiries in a timely fashion. But if I have already paid for something I would expect a reasonable level of communication and delivery as promised.

16. shane8

shane8 Member

I can't remember the last time I ordered anything - if it's not on the shelf I walk* - I WANT IT NOW

*given there's about a million off the shelf pu to choose from I don't see the point

17. mslugano

mslugano Supporting Member

You are WAY too easy.

Your preference for these pickups is fine...that's your opinion, so cool...but saying that anyone that doesn't agree in your little absolute does not have a good ear for tone is just being a jerk (biting my tongue). Then to top it off with your big swinging dick remarks to the effect that you are the only one with great gear and hanging with A-listers makes you sound like a douche. You have no idea what sort of gear I own and I'll add that gigging int'l stages for the last 25 years gives me a fair degree of comfort in my ear for tone. So stop being an internet know-it-all...it's really annoying.

Despite your grating personality, I will say that you do have a very attractive wife (assuming that pic really is your wife...you never know on forums).

FWIW, I have no skin in this Ellis game but I would never pay a ludicrous amount up front for a damned pickup and then wait two+ years for delivery. There are too many options out there of equal or better quality to get sucked into the hype.

18. slopeshoulder

It is my wife, so thanks for that. And honest to god, her looks are 2% of why I love her.
    Listen, my objection to your post was your presumption that I'm wrong, an accusation of bias, and no evidence or reason to back up your attack. FWIW, I think Ron should take a deposit only; I hated waiting 18 months. Tone is subjective of course, but now 5 sets into it, I really think they have something special. Many agree, including many A-list players (none of whom I hang with in the past 30 years). And IMO, Ron's prices aren't that bad compared to other best in breed stuff. But I honestly don't care what you or others think or play when it comes to sound. Play what you like. I tweaked you because you just made a crap comment, as if it's an absolute, attacking others' perception and integrity, with no evidence (e.g "me and 5 pros A-B'd 'em and couldn't hear or feel a difference.").
    What Ron should re time and money do is his business (literally), but it is fair game to discuss. I've given you my opinion on that.
    So we both have good taste in women, and vive la difference with pickups, right?
    PS:my dick is big and swinging. I can't help it. :banana

19. slopeshoulder

Cool. That's true about Jason.
    But so is Ron (a true gentleman and a master pickup builder).
    BTW, Lollar's are made by machines. Well engineered and consistent. But not "made" by a person. They're good, I've owned 4 sets. Sold them all.

20. Jim S

Jim S Gold Supporting Member

:worthless

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...

[​IMG]

That's all I have to contribute.