• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

HurricaneJesus' neatest pedal-board OF ALL TIME...kinda

Hi all, join me this week as I put together a kinder, gentler board! So here's more-or-less what I've been using since 2005. Obviously it's evolved over time. It's a Pedal Pab AXS I modified with a piece of ply-wood instead of the two flaps it came with. Lava soldered cables, PP2+ under the board.

Over the last year I've slowly collected stuff to make a 'neater' board...just got the board itself from TourSupply last week so I figured let's slap this thing together. Here's the trial fit:

The plugs are Lava 228s (except for the Switchcraft 280's in the picture below) but I'm going with Mogami 2319 cable this time. I also got this cool buffered interface from jnepo1 (it's got a non-buffered break-out for fuzz but I'm not using a fuzz on this particular board):

Gotta go to Radio Shack (assuming one still exists) and get some heat shrink and Deoxit and we'll be ready to wire this thing up.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, when it's all done it'll fit into this Pelican case I got off ebay or Craigslist a while ago....Studebaker die-cast included for classiness.

I use a Peli case for my board too. It’s perfect, and I got an oversize one that fits my guitars stand, iPad, iPad mount, all cables and so on.

I use a Peli case for my board too. It’s perfect, and I got an oversize one that fits my guitars stand, iPad, iPad mount, all cables and so on.
I've thought about going that route and getting an extra Pelican for miscellaneous stuff I bring to gigs. Dunno if I've got the room, though. OriginalFuzz makes a bag that looks like a gym bag but with zippered pockets on the inside. That seems kinda my speed.

Haven't gotten much done today. Managed to clean the pedals up and replace the velcro with these Command Strips (which I'm told is more or less Dual Lock):

I more or less used the technique outlined in Vertex's 'Pedalboard Chronicles'. Oh yeah, in case you're wondering, I'm using a Zvex power plate to power the Phase 90:

I got some 3/16 heat shrink at Home Depot so I'm hoping I can at least get half of the cables soldered up tomorrow. I've never done 228's, though, so I'm expecting some growing pains...

Ok so I managed to carve out some time to slap a few cables together. Hunched over Indian-style making cables is hell on your back!

Here's my little cable-testing set-up (with Ricky Rudd's RYR Havoline Ford on loan from my 4-year old's collection):

Any suggestions on how to stick my wah pedal on there? I was thinking I'd find some shorter screws at Home Depot and just use Dual Lock on the base.

Have you heard of a "table"? It helps your back not go through hell. ;)
Lol hindsight being 20/20 yes, that would have been the better play. You know how it goes: once I got the kids to bed and tidied up a little I just dropped everything on the living room floor and got after it. Tonight hopefully I can make it to the dinner table...

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I like the methodical approach. I usually get the urge to revamp the afternoon before a gig.
For the wah, you might find the dual lock provides enough elevation. I once drilled out holes for the rubber feet in the board.
Shorter screws is always an option (flipping the bottom plate of course)

I have come to like wah off board.

SirGilmour

Silver Supporting Member
Lol hindsight being 20/20 yes, that would have been the better play. You know how it goes: once I got the kids to bed and tidied up a little I just dropped everything on the living room floor and got after it. Tonight hopefully I can make it to the dinner table...
Actually I know exactly what you are talking about. Kids go to sleep and comfort exits the mind. It's all about "how much can I get done before I'm asleep too!"

Any suggestions on how to stick my wah pedal on there? I was thinking I'd find some shorter screws at Home Depot and just use Dual Lock on the base.
Picked up these cabinet screws and snipped the ends off. Seems like that'll do the trick once it's sitting on the dual-lock. Hopefully I can get this thing buttoned up tonight after dinner otherwise I'll be going board-less tomorrow night!

Man, I'm glad I did as much work earlier in the week. That kinda kicked my ass. I've got some tie straps and those tie-downs to kinda tidy up the power cables (I still might cut some of my own up). I'm on the fence about doing a riser for my tuner. Gonna do a couple of gigs with it this way and see how it goes. Sounds pretty good through the test rig...hopefully there's no weird noise gremlins at high volume.

It's a little snug with the OCD up there on the PP2 but I don't foresee that being an issue.

In the end I kinda limited myself by going with the Pelican case idea but it forced me to travel light and it was way cheaper than going with a custom board/road-case combo so I'm pretty happy with it. The end....for now.

Last edited:
I like the methodical approach. I usually get the urge to revamp the afternoon before a gig.
For the wah, you might find the dual lock provides enough elevation. I once drilled out holes for the rubber feet in the board.
Shorter screws is always an option (flipping the bottom plate of course)

I have come to like wah off board.
I'm pretty happy with the shorter-screw approach so far. It's taking some getting used to having it, and all my pedals really, closer to the ground and no longer on an incline.
The maiden voyage went well last night. I think I'll stick with no riser on the tuner for now since I didn't have any issues kicking my delay knobs when engaging it. The only real issue I had was an old man dancing with his wife kept kicking the level knob on my OCD. Ah, the joys of not playing on an actual stage...
This is also my first time using a dedicated buffer. I can't recommend jnepo1 enough. I just PM'd him a Microsoft paint file showing how I wanted the interface set up and he had it mailed to me very quickly at a fair price. I haven't had a chance to do a direct vs through-the-board comparison but the buffer seems to even out any volume weirdness with the modulation/time-based pedals. Also the LED can light the entire stage!

Well, it survived the drunk-guy-falling-onto-my-gear-cart-and-knocking-my-****-all-over-the-place test. Points for Pelican.

Trending Topics