Huss & Dalton D-RH or Martin OM28V

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Stevo57, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I'm new the acoustic scene. Given a choice between these two guitars,
    which would you pick and why?
    THANKS !

2. Beagle1

Beagle1 Member

They are 2 completely different acoustics...both very nice guitars to be sure, but it's like comparing an ES-335 to a Telecaster. It might help to know more about what styles of music you play...pop, folk, blues, bluegrass, etc; whether you use a pick (strum) or fingerstyle, or both; and whether you are going to play it mostly solo, or in a group with other guitarists/musicians.

3. Stevo57

Blues to bluegrass, fingerstyle, sometimes strummer , but more fingers. Would like to get into flatpicking a little more. I will almost always be playing at home by myself.

4. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

Just sold a H&D...wish I had kept it though. Sweetest midrange tone of any guitar I've ever heard or played.

5. Beagle1

Beagle1 Member

Thanks, that helps. I don't own an H&D dread but I do have one of their OM's. I would definitely recommend you audition the H&D because they have a very unique, contemporary voicing...strong and complex in the mids, sometimes too much for my tastes if you're mainly playing solo. For playing in small ensembles, then the H&D voicing really helps to cut through and their dreads are real canons in terms of the volume they put out.

I would think the Martin OM28V would be a little more up your alley given your playing style. That classic Martin voicing works well for just about any style of music, and playing with either pick or fingers. On the "V" models of Martin OM's you are going to get their modified V neck shape...a lot of guys who like a chunkier neck prefer this, but I prefer the smaller low-profile necks that Martin makes.

Try before you buy is the best advice I can give!

6. xcycle

xcycle Member

I own a Huss D-RH and I would say my particular one(they all sound different) has the following characteristics- Deep solid bass (but not quite as big as some high end Martins I've played), strong and complex mid range, and very nice trebles up to say the 8th fret...(I've played others that had stronger treble tones leaping out but I've never really felt it lacked in that area, just that there are some Breedloves, Taylor's, Santa Cruz's, and one particular $8000 Martin that I have played that seemed to have a slightly stronger treble response above the 8th fret). The guitar has a lot of sustain and ringing overtones, but still has a lot of headroom if you want to dig in hard. So it isn't a dry toned box if you like that. It is a very pretty sounding guitar like what you hear on lots of Country tracks these days. Clear ringing tones.

Also mine doesn't like low tension so well so if you detune alot you will likely not be happy as it takes a bit to get the top moving.

An excellent overall guitar that can be flatpicked (my specialty), fingerpicked and is loud. I get compliments all the time at jams.

If you like Elixer strings I would avoid the Huss unless you play mostly plugged in as the Bass response falls off compared to say DAddario Phosphur Bronze 12-52 (my favorites after a year of testing).

Here's a review.

http://www.acousticguitar.com/issues/ag107/feature107.html

Cheers,
    Eric

7. Sunil

Sunil Gold Supporting Member

I have a Huss and Dalton DS (slope-shouldered dread) with sitka top and mahogany sides and body. Very sweet and pronounced mids, smooth highs and ample and focused bass. Not as deep in the bass or complex as the same model with rosewood sides and body, but great balance all around and it sounds fabulous. The neck is a dream to play on. Stands out in an ensemble setting. Great for fltatpicking or fingerstyle. I agree with Beagle1 that the H&Ds have a more contemporary than vintage voice. Huss and Dalton makes top notch guitars.

-- Sunil

8. Stevo57

Thanks very much to you all for taking the time to reply. I'm a little concerned about the V neck on the Martin, and hand fatigue. I'm pretty sure at this time it's going to be the H&D.

9. carty

carty Member

I work for a shop that carries Huss and Daltons, and they do some great work and sound amazing!! its hard being a lefty!!

10. zion

zion Member

I've played different models than the ones you've mentioned by each company, and H & D is my preference hands down.

11. RockinB23

RockinB23 Member

I'd go with the H&D as well but I like dreads better than OM's all day long. The Martin D-28 Marquis is worth a look too, they sound really really good.

12. ke3ee

ke3ee Supporting Member

I sold my 000-28ec Martin to buy a H&D D-RH #452 a few yrs ago. I could not play the V neck for any length of time was the first reason. The Huss is an easier player first, has a much more complex tone. I use John Pearse strings and I know we have all said " this one's a keeper" but my Huss is just that.

13. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

I was a die hard Martin guy for 20+ years, but I recently sold my 15 year old Martin HD-28 (great guitar BTW) along with a bunch of other equipment once I heard a Huss and Dalton DS at Guitar Works here in Richmond. OMG that guitar is unreal. I bought it and a Huss and Dalton TD-R custom with an adirondack top. These are hand made with tap tuned tops. Fit and finish rival Collings. They are unreal acoustics that are incredibly balanced from top to bottom. They are more traditionally voiced than Collings. My DS stands right there with a couple of 1950s Gibson Southern Jumbos that I've played. I wouldn't hesitate to get just about any H & D. All 3 at Guitar Works (CM, DM, and the DS I bought) plus my TD-R are absolutely stellar. Martins can be as well, but you definitely have to play quite a few to find a really good one. If you want a nice OM for finger style, you really should audition a H & D OM.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sound clips of both here & note that these were recorded with just the built in mics in my Zoom H4N recorder with no editing, mixing, or mastering:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=375366

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011