HW MARSHALL. One even I can like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tag, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Eveyone knows I hate Marshalls. Buzzy, noisy, harsh... I just do not like them at ALL for the most part. Two exceptions were a stock 1972 50 watt head I owned, (which could give me WICKED grind and overdrive) and a few JTM 45s, including the newer production Bluesbreaker combo. Well, here is another. The 20 watt Hand wired head and cab. I tried it right next to a HR Deville, an amp I LOVE. Well the Fenders cleans were better, but the Marshall hung in there pretty good. The marshall also went into a nice fairly smooth overdriven tone, with no buzziness. The one problem I could see, is that it is just not loud at ALL. Can anyone actually gig with these? IMO, you would need to mic it in even smaller size clubs if your drummer hits with anything other than brushes. :D

Just wanted to say congrats to Marshall on a fantastic sounding amp. Even I can be wrong once in a while. ;) VERY,VERY nice sounding amp for sure. :AOK

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>Even I can be wrong once in a while<<

Say it ain't so, Joe!!!

3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Completely agree. I loved that amp the first time I played through it at NAMM in Jan 2005. Great amp. Great cab.

4. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I gig with mine dude. hit 105 db on the club's meter last gig at no clicks on the hotplate, and volume on 9 with my PRS.

Great amp.

5. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

My 100 watt HW sounds killer too. I clipped the bright cap and the amp has that thick low/mid oomph that I like. Even attenuated a bit, it retains the same tone.

I've tried several 18-22 watt amps and I personally can't gig with them I need a 35 watt amp, or a 50 barely attenuated, or the 100 attenuated a bit more. I use the Clearsonic shield so as to not fry the audience's ears.

6. telebuck

telebuck Supporting Member

I just received my 2061x and cab. What a fantastic amp! I've been looking for the classic older marshall tone, and think I've found it. And I havent even had a chance to crank it up (my attenuator arrives in a couple of days).

Most surprising were the beautiful clean tones at very low volume settings. Some very nice el-84 chime on top and warm below. The ability to blend channels and the two tone controls allow various shadings of a really nice vintage clean sound. As I said, havent been able to crank it up (and everyone says it sounds best cranked), but it takes pedals VERY well. Loves my Klon, Landgraff, and Keeley Rat. My Les Paul and SG have never sounded so good.

Cant speak to its giggability.. I was more looking for a basement studio and small gig amp. Fits the bill perfectly.

7. Tag

Lol! ;)

8. Tag

Amazing. I was in a music store with a Strat. I did not get to turn it up more than 3/4 of the way, but it seemed to just be getting more drive and not any louder. Maybe something was wrong, as even at that level, it was not really bothering anyone. (and I do not like to crank in music stores if there is no booth.) In any case, it sure sounded nice!
    :BEER

9. radialaced

radialaced Member

I'm going to buy a 1974x and I have played one at my local GC at least 8 times, (in their booth). It's a pretty loud amp. If someone comes in while I'm playing it and leaves the door open a little then the sales guys come running over and shut the door because they can't hear the phones, ( either that or it's my playing :) ).

For the past week at the same GC there has been a Matchless HC30 on top of a Recto 2x12 cab next to the 1974x. When I play through the HC30 it is tremendously louder than the 1974x. In fact the HC30 with a Les Paul was vibrating my body and stomach so hard that I almost got nauseated.

But, I could only use the HC30 for certain gigs, I don't think the master volume on the HC30 does the amp any justice. On the other hand I could use the 1974x for a lot of my gigs as well as at home without annoying my family too much.

Also, although a strat sounds wonderful through the 18-20 watt Marshalls they don't exactly push the amp very hard. A humbucker or a little boost on the strat would bring it up a notch.

10. big mike

'Spose it depends on the cab. I was running an Avatar with a M/H scumback mix. Really opens up about 10 ft. out.

The guys in the band think it has more power than the DSL I used to have. LOL

11. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Nobody can gig with Marshalls. In fact, nobody has ever gigged with Marshalls.

:RoCkIn

12. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Is it me, or does Tag fall in love with a new amp every few weeks or so? I usually agree with you, though, man. The "little" Marshalls kick ass, the AC30CC's, Deville's are underrated, I'm sure I'd dig a Bruno...

13. Tag

Ummm.....my questions was relating to the volume of that 20 watt amp.:NUTS

14. Tag

Very rarely actually! This is the first high end amp that has sounded good to me in a LONG time other than the Brunos. Funny thing is...I am praising Marshall for a very expensive amp that is sounding ALMOST as good as a $700 production Fender! LOL! :D After playing the buzzy, thin amps like DSL and TSLs, this one actually sounded nice and fat. :AOK

15. GM1

GM1 Member

I heard the HW 20 Marshall at NAMM and thought it was a pretty cool amp. It was matched with a 1x12 G12H30 Marshall cab. I think you would come close to max on volume using it in a small club with a fairly loud drummer, but that might be what makes it cool. If you don't want a lot of head room and want amp grind at a usable level the HW 20 would be a good amp to consider. I don't know how well it would sound with pedals....the demo I heard was a Strat straight into the amp.

16. big mike

Yup. I run mine about 8 or 9 on the volume, through 2 scumbacks with a PRS and an RC boost.

It ain't about cleans.

17. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Sure if you just compare the clens. The amps should be contrasted, but never compared. The OD has a totally different character, just like the clean does. And yeah, I'll agree, the little Marshalls are overpriced. Doesn't mean they don't kill. (And I still bought one)

18. SamN

SamN Member

Owned the 2061x with matching cab for a few months. Loved the sound of the amp, but it was not loud enough in a live situation. You can mike it, but I like to hear the amp coming off the stage. I really hated getting rid of it, but just was not loud enough in a band situation. Really a great amp though.