HX Effects and Mission Engineering SP1-L6H

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ivanh3, Feb 3, 2018.

1. ivanh3

ivanh3 Member

Just did a bunch of old gear purge which involved some horse trading, and a nice JCM 800 1x12 combo ended up in my studio. I figured it would be nice to have a small back up. It sounds awesome, and out of curiosity I put my Helix floor unit in the effects loop, set the helix for line level and holy ginormicus tone, it sounded great! Sooooo....

I ordered an HX Effects, and I am wondering if the Mission Engineering SP1-L6H can be fully utilized, meaning the toe switch. I like to use the control pedal as volume control and then when the toe switch is engaged it would control the wah.

Will that be possible?

2. baron55

baron55 Member

I don't think so, but maybe Line 6 will chime in. The expression jacks are TRS, maybe a future firmware upgrade maybe.

3. Mango Positive

Mango Positive Member

No. I tried for a long time to get the Kemper Mission expression pedal to work this way. You can't assign more than one expression jack to a single effect block. Fortunately, the "off at heel position" works a lot better than I thought it would.

4. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

It's a matter of the actual electrical connections at those switches. I don't believe it's something that could be changed via a firmware update.

5. ivanh3

ivanh3 Member

Well that's disappointing. Seems like a fairly obvious application of a controller pedal.

So then, can a switch be used to toggle the expression pedal between volume and wah?

6. baron55

baron55 Member

It all depends, those TRS jacks can be setup to do multiple things, amp switching, momentary or latching, expression inputs, polarity reverse on expression. Just depends on how line 6 set it up. The H9 originally could not do 4 cable method until they released a firmware update. Yes apple to oranges. Just depends how the jacks are configured.

7. baron55

baron55 Member

Ina round about way yes, but not exactly as you would want. The volume pedal is an effect block just as the wah, you could assign the expression pedal to both the volume pedal and wah block, then set up a foot switch to turn the wah and volume ON/OFF. You most likely would save the preset with the Volume On by default and the Wah OFF, them pushing the footswitch would turn the volume off and wah on.

yeky83 likes this.
  8. ivanh3

ivanh3 Member

This would work, and in my case, may be necessary regardless of a firmware update possibly allowing an expression jack to be used as a toe switch. This is because I would also like to use the channel switching capabilities and I see there are only two controller/amp control jacks. Thanks for weighing in on this.

9. baron55

baron55 Member

I just set this up on my HX and works like a charm!

ivanh3 likes this.
  10. rer122504

rer122504 Supporting Member

That expression pedal is made to work with the helix rack control that has a toe switch input