HX Stomp good with overdrive pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by The New Exhibit, Dec 3, 2019 at 12:16 AM.

1. The New Exhibit

The New Exhibit Member

The title says it all; I’m curious how the hx stomp takes overdrive pedals. I’m planning to have a pedalboard rig to go straight to front of house with in ears and plan to use the hx stomp as the clean/slightly broken up amp and ownhammer cabinet platform. I also stack overdrives too. How does this all hold up?

2. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

I find that if you are using the amp modeling/cab sims of the Stomp the drives in the device usually work better than real overdrives. Just like the drive sounds of the Stomp going into a real amp are awful, real drives going into the Stomp are less than ideal.

But you can do it, of course. I find that in that scenario you are best off using TS-style pedals, or something else that cuts the excessive bass (and treble) frequencies of the digital sim. Otherwise it can be a bit boomy and unresponsive.

So...if you’re going digital, go digital. If you are analog, be analog. But that obviously depends also on what you play and how you play.

3. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

It works great ime, though I’ve stopped doing it since the built in stuff sounds great.

Oh and I think the Stomp drives sound fantastic going into a real amp.

radiocure and cjm254 like this.
  4. WillLane

WillLane Member

It's kind of funny you bring it up. I made my patches using the Stomp's amp sims to save my hearing. I didn't think even once about the fact that I was using my physical drives into the amp sims. So in turn, I'd have to say that the Stomp takes OD's and drives in general very well.

kdm1218 likes this.
  5. Naigewron

Naigewron Member

The Stomp doesn't react all that well to being boosted (for example if you're trying to push an amp into more gain). In my experience it will get pretty harsh really quickly - For that I would definitely use the internal drive effects.

However, it works perfectly well with external drives that generate their own overdrive. I run a 5150 Overdrive and a RevivalDrive Compact in front of mine, and they work really well.

I came to the Stomp from the Atomic Ampli-Firebox, which definitely handled boosts a lot better. I could push it into overdrive, and it felt and sounded really good. But of course, the Stomp has its own strengths, and a lot more features, so I'm not regretting the switch.

sigmundc and stevenlaumer like this.
  6. spentron

spentron Member

^^-- yes straight clean boosts don't work. However most other "boost" pedals don't actually produce greater max. signal level than a guitar.

I haven't experienced that unit, but in my time with an RP modeler I found some amp models in it better as ODs in front of an amp than any of its pedal models and awful into a power amp, a couple models that were pretty good as intended, and even a cab sim or 2 that were good into an actual cab. And with various modeling amps, a dirt pedal into a well-tweaked clean model can be as good or better than most or all of its higher gain models, as well as better than most old style solid state amps.

7. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Member

First off, I really recommend trying the equivalent pedals in the Stomp. Aside from amp modeling, I think they are one of the biggest strengths of the unit.

That said, using an external pedal can open up some possibilities too. For one, it can save a block and a footswitch, both of which are at a premium. Most often I’ll use an external pedal set to low gain, and then deal with higher gain in the Stomp. Stacking can work pretty well too, depending on the pedals.

My experience is that, just like any pedal/amp combination, it can sound anywhere from terrible to great. So, if you have presets with different amp models, it may only be useful with some of them. Also, where you want the settings on the external pedal’s knobs isn't necessarily going to be the same from amp model to amp model. That sounds obvious, but when you’re used to having so much control with the pressing of a footswitch, it can be annoying.

Another problem that can come into play across multiple presets is volume leveling. For example, a really clean amp model will have more headroom and get louder with a pedal, where a dirtier one will just compress.

I’ve tried quite a few. The best (and most versatile) I’ve found is the Timmy. Also, I’ll disagree with some others and say an Orange Two Stroke boost worked really well with models that were on the edge of breakup. Never really loved my Klone or TS.

Anyway, worth experimenting for sure. It can work well, but versatility is kind of limited.

HeavyCream likes this.
  8. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

What about fuzz?
    1) does the HX Stomp take Fuzz well?
    2) do the HX Fuzz models like FF clean up like a real fuzz?

9. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Member

Have not tried external fuzz.

As to the second question, you’ll hear a lot of criticism of Helix fuzzes, but the FF in particular works really nicely if you adjust the input impedance parameter to match what the pedal does.

If your not familiar with using Helix/Stomp this will probably be a little confusing, but it’s really simple once you play around with the unit. What I do is change the impedance with the same button I turn on the FF with. It cleans up really well with my Strat - nice, fat gritty sound.

Here’s the video that I took the idea from.

david(j) and HeavyCream like this.
  10. The New Exhibit

The New Exhibit Member

Wow, thank you all for the replies! I really appreciate it! I’m just wondering what the best move is... I figured I would have either my Fender style clean, or Vox style clean (or both) and just use my pedalboard into it (phase 95, wampler ego, bondi sick as, bondi breakers, bogner red, strymon timeline, strymon big sky). Usually the breakers is on all of the time, and I’ll push it with the sick as for more gain, and turn the compressor on to push it all for even more for leads. It works great with my morgan, but that’s a high headroom clean amp.

I was also pondering the Strymon Iridium. Only reason I figured the stomp was good for versatility and more bang for the buck; I won’t be using other amp models when using my pedalbord with it; just a fender clean or vox clean. But then I have the added bonus of using the stomp on it’s own with a smaller all digital setup.

Anybody have experience with the Iridium with pedals in the same fashion? Thoughts on all of this?

11. stevenlaumer

stevenlaumer Member

The Iridium is MUCH better at taking boosts and overdrives than the Stomp. The Stomp does ok but does not like a boosted signal at all. Get the Iridium.

12. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

Spot on! Even pushing clean amps for more volume doesn't seem to work very well.

13. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

Works good for me. Give it a whirl.

14. The New Exhibit

The New Exhibit Member

Got ya! I take it you've had experiences with both the Iridium and the HX Stomp?

15. The New Exhibit

The New Exhibit Member

What works good for you, the HX Stomp, or the Iridium?

16. direwolf

This:
    HX Stomp good with overdrive pedals?

17. The New Exhibit

The New Exhibit Member

oh shoot, for some reason it's not showing a link. I assume you're posting a video or link?

18. direwolf

That was a reply to the OP.

Pumpkin PI fuzz>Tumnus>EP booster>Biegle auto wah> stomp> front end of any tube amp. Sounds good with headphones and with a live band.

19. stevenlaumer

stevenlaumer Member

Yup. Just watch the video and see for yourself.