HX Stomp: one amp to rule them all

Doomrider78

Does anyone set up their Stomp to use only one amp and cab/IR for all their playing (like a real-life amp)? I'm particularly interested to hear from those who go from clean to high gain, and everything in between.

What are your signal paths?

dk_ace

Depends on what you mean by high gain and what your tastes are. If you like Marshall style stuff, the cartographer can do it. A little lower gain the Brit trem does it.

Smoother American style stuff - the litigator.

I’m sure there are others, but those are the first that come to mind. I’d probably start with the cartographer. That and a couple of drive blocks in front for different flavors could probably cover nearly everything for most people.

D

Guitarmoog

Yes, I do this. Same almost but not quite identically set amps in stereo, sometimes with the Deluxe Comp and/or the Trem/auto-pan after them.

My rig is for ambient stuff, and has tons of delays and reverbs etc in front of the Stomp. I basically picked the amp that gave me a clean tone I liked and responded well to having all that stuff in front of it. Ended up as Channel 1 of the Cali Texas and 2x12 Interstate.

Initially I was a bit disappointed that if you’re going into the Stomp in stereo and want to maintain that All the way through you have to use two amps/cabs as that leaves very little extra DSP. Now though I’m very pleased with it in my setup, and having a studio-style (i.e. after the mics) and a very tweakable autopan available is really helpful.

Most importantly for me though, I use an identical basic patch per song, and switching between them gives me the song name on the screen and midi switches other pedals’ presets and sends them the tempo that’s saved with the song patch.

Not the way it was intended to be used, I’m sure, and it seems like a waste of all the other stuff it can do, but it’s really Doing several jobs right at the heart of my rig.

(GFI Synthesia (Which it also controls by mid) added since this pic was taken)
EA546664-0D2C-4C93-8623-A67783CFDA2A.jpeg

jpsterling

If I could dovetail somewhat on OP's question, I'm rigless at the moment and am considering going with HX Stomp plus a couple pedals as opposed to one of the larger, more daunting modelers. I tried POD Go and it's great, but I found the predetermined patch structures not to my liking.

Can anyone confirm that I would consistently be able to run dual amp wet/dry setups without running out of DSP? If I could run two amps and have enough power left for even just one or two effects, I think that would be acceptable to me.

Doomrider78

I've just been playing and quite like the 2204 amp (JCM 800?) with a TS in front, and the Compulsive drive for a different flavour. The OCD-type pedal seems to produce nicer cleans when the volume is rolled down. Both pedals set with gain turned down and the level turned up.

That seems to give me most of what I need.

kdm1218

Supporting Member
If I could dovetail somewhat on OP's question, I'm rigless at the moment and am considering going with HX Stomp plus a couple pedals as opposed to one of the larger, more daunting modelers. I tried POD Go and it's great, but I found the predetermined patch structures not to my liking.

Can anyone confirm that I would consistently be able to run dual amp wet/dry setups without running out of DSP? If I could run two amps and have enough power left for even just one or two effects, I think that would be acceptable to me.
Look at the amp DSP allocations here:
For most amps, yes you can do this.

Guitarzan00

I have a patch with friedman BE clean and dirty model (so 2 amp blocks), OD, IR, and reverb. I have 1 block left, but not much I can use. Only the least DSP hungry effects are left, and it's not much. You can maybe choose some lighter DSP amp models, but that would really limit your options. Can it be done, sure. Are you going to have all the options you want, and choose whichever amp and effects you want, probably not.

ChrisVereb

I think you can use the info on Benvesco's page to figure out if you'd be able to run the effects you like:

It depends somewhat on which amps and which effects. But if you were to run 2 Amps (@ an average DSP of 30.6% each) + 2 IR Blocks (@ 9.33% each) - you'd have 2 blocks and about 20% DSP left. There's plenty of combinations that can fit that, but definitely some that can't either. You won't have the DSP to run a King of Tone and a Space Echo, but you will have the DSP to run a Tri-Chorus and a Dual Delay.

This is all just what I'm inferring from the data on that page though. I don't own a stomp, so there may be other limitations or more effecient ways to do wet/dry that I'm not aware of.

drew365

I used to make a patch for each song and usually use a handful of different amps, depending on the song. I now use one amp with three snapshots on the stomp or four snapshots on my Helix floor, (Clean / OD / Crunch / Lead.) I used the Cali Texas amp for a while, but now I'm on the Litigator and I seem to like it better. I keep four snapshots on the lower row of buttons and four stomps on the upper row. If I need a different effect for one song, like Tremelo, I make an identical patch with just one effect substituted. Life is a little simpler this way and my sound is more consistent.

ChrisVereb

Not on an HX, but I do tend to use a one amp/cab setup if I'm making with others using a modeler. I setup the modeler like a pedalboard and run into the front of either a modeled or real amp. I play a lot of improv and want to have the familiar control scheme to focus on listening. For me with that approach, 6 blocks seems like it would be limiting, as I tend to add everything I might need into each patch. 8 would be fine once that's the new limit.

When I used a pod hd like this I liked either the Bogner Shiva or Dr. Z route 66 for this setup. Both through the Dr Z cab.

guitarrob

Don’t know if this counts, but I use my Helix in 4CM with my tube amp, using it mainly for effects, but I do use the Essex amp in the Helix for my Vox tones, the only amp model I currently use in the Helix - and I use that model a lot. I really think it’s a pretty stellar model of the venerable AC30 top boost.

b80

When switching between amps on the HX Stomp (like, going from a Fender Clean to a Marshall drive) is there any drop in sound? Or is it a seamless transition.

I have a Strymon Iridium and the only negative is that when switching presets there's a slight loss in volume when hitting the FAV switch.

Thanks!

dk_ace

When switching between amps on the HX Stomp (like, going from a Fender Clean to a Marshall drive) is there any drop in sound? Or is it a seamless transition.

I have a Strymon Iridium and the only negative is that when switching presets there's a slight loss in volume when hitting the FAV switch.

Thanks!
Switching presets will have a momentary volume drop. Switching snapshots within a preset does not. So, if you put two amp blocks in the preset and use a snapshot control or a footswitch to switch between them there won’t be a volume drop. It requires two amp blocks though.

D

Trending Topics