HX Stomp + SD Powerstage 170?

Doomrider78

I wasn't sure if this should go here or in the amp section but I rolled the dice :p:D

I'm thinking of selling both my amps - Katana Artist and Marshall DSL40CR - as I'm not playing in a band these days and they're just sitting there gathering dust.

I'm exclusively using my HX stomp for practice these days and I'm wondering if it could take the place of my amp should I start playing with friends again, but obviously I'd need a power amp.

I don't need anything complicated as I'm thinking the Stomp plus a couple of pedals would do all the tone work: Is the Powrstage plus cab of my choice a good way to go.

We wouldn't be using a PA if we did start playing again, so direct wouldn't be an option.

Any other alternatives/suggestions?

Ryan x Decent

I run my PodGo through a TC Electronics BAM200, 100 watts at 8 ohms. In my practice area I can't turn it past 7 o'clock, it's ridiculously loud. Same power output at the Power Stage 200, less than half the cost.

JoeInOttawa

Stomp + PowerStage 170 should be more than enough when you get back to gigging. More than enough to keep up with the drummer and carry small to medium rooms.

vtgearhead

Gold Supporting Member
I run my PodGo through a TC Electronics BAM200, 100 watts at 8 ohms. In my practice area I can't turn it past 7 o'clock, it's ridiculously loud. Same power output at the Power Stage 200, less than half the cost.
Just be aware that neutral (all at noon) tone control settings aren't flat. See:

drew365

Gold Supporting Member
I have an HX Stomp / Power Stage 170 / 1x12 Cab w/Celestion Creamback. It sounds great. The HX Stomp is my backup for my Helix floor, which I use with the same setup. The PS170 is plenty loud. I use it with my band, no problem.

HoneyNut

I have an HX Stomp / Power Stage 170 / 1x12 Cab w/Celestion Creamback. It sounds great. The HX Stomp is my backup for my Helix floor, which I use with the same setup. The PS170 is plenty loud. I use it with my band, no problem.
Do you have the cab sims off? Does it do amp in the room convincingly?

Ryan x Decent

Just be aware that neutral (all at noon) tone control settings aren't flat. See:

Yeah, it is "voiced" slightly, but it's not noticable to my ear at stage volumes.

I did the Stomp and PS170 for a bit. The PS170 has a harshness to it that I couldn’t dial out.

Trending Topics