HX Stomp vs laptop + plugins

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Riffzilla, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

The XTone is arriving next week, so I’ll know more once I get it setup.

I can imagine it’s a one vst plugin per use with the pedal. So I would have Mercuriall Spark open on my MacBook and then use the XTone to switch between presets in that plugin. This is fine to me, and if I want to use a larger vst program with multiple amps, then there’s lots out there like S-Gear, Bias, EZMix.

From what I’ve read the latency is said to be non-existent, the audio interface is said to be first rate.

I too preferred the Mercuriall Spark to any Marshall modeller I’ve tried. This even included 2 actual Marshall amps I recorded (JVM direct out, and DSL mic’d). The Spark is that good IMO.

2. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

Because it is a standard audio interface that just is in a pedal form you could easily use a plugin host and run multiple plugins at once.

If you are on Mac, you owe it to yourself to check out Mainstage it’s an incredible hosting tool and comes with some killer FX plugins. That is how I use my TS Mega.

thomasjg and Bentayuk like this.
  3. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

I've tried many others since I bought Amplitube 4 and they all leave me uninspired. Believe it or not my favorite amp in AT4 is the Jet City JCA100H. I have it tweaked so good that nothing compares to what I want in my recorded guitar sound. Combine that with what I think is the best UI on the planet and the ease of prgramming it to my FBV shortboard and I wont be leaving AT4 any time soon.

4. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

There's that, and also feel. Audio interfaces don't feel right to me. I've tried a lot of different things, and the Audient definitely gets the closest, but it's not the same as the HX Stomp was.

5. primemover12

primemover12 Member

Wow, you're the first person I've seen speak so glowingly about A4 in 2 or 3 years.

Don't get me wrong, I have Amplitube 4 MAX, and it definitely has its place in my lineup: the Fender Collections and the revised Marshall AFD in the Slash pack are pretty great; but nearly everyone seems to have felt that S-Gear, Helix, Bias, ReValver, Spark, or something else have one-upped them by now.

My understanding was that the JCA100H was the poor man's SLO100. Do you think they sound similar?

My biggest complaints with Amplitube are the quality of the 5150 clone (it basically sounds like a can full of bees if you don't EQ the high end a lot); and the dearth of rack effects. The MAX bundle includes exactly one rack reverb, which is pretty generic. I guess you can call it two reverbs if you include the amp spring reverb in the Fender pack. Still, some basic presets (plate, hall, slap, etc.) would have made a huge difference for me. Ditto with the single digital rack delay.

Elric and Pastafarian like this.
  6. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

Not sure if it sounds like a SLO100 but it sounds and feels like the tones in my head so I stick with it. It took me months of tweaking when I was at the DAW but for me it's perfect. Tight gain that punches through the mix without sounding honky and great fat cleans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Elric likes this.
  7. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

If you get a chance and don’t mind, I’d be super interested in the entire preset. Are you just using the stock cab config and no post FX? I’d assume not since you spent so long on it...

Like others, I find AmpliTube to be a hot mess. So much old stuff in there, the cab models are not very good. Marshalls are bad... The Mesa, Fender, and parts of the Orange pack; those are about the only things I can vibe with at all and other plugs are better at those, too, even.

The cabs are not as good as my IRs (although the UI is amazing there) and the FX offering is incomplete and what is there is uninspiring.

I have a few good presets and like to mess with it here and there, it is not worthless to me, but I’d love to mess with something deeply tweaked that gets more out of it.

8. Briandress

Briandress Member

i actually quite enjoy the time I spend on my laptop with plugins. Even though I have a weak cpu and cant run very many instances of plugins concurrently I can get one instance down to like 64 samples on 44.1 and it sounds incredible. I am currently loving the neural dsp Archetype. it has everything I need in the box and the tones are exquisite. I also enjoy kazrog plugins they sound awesome. I like the laptop deal because it is really easy for me to work with. I may have a really untrained ear or something but I have not had latency issues for a long time, especially when just jamming with one plugin.

9. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

I just love the way it sounds. I dont care how old or new it is. I use stock cabs but I have moved the mics around a little. I have tried S-Gear and hated it. I do like BIAS but it still didn't trump AT4 for me. Heck I have a Helix LT and lots of other stuff but I will even gig with my trusty RP1000 sometimes. I dont get hung up on old tech vs new tech. If I can figure out how to export the file I can email it you if you inbox me. :)

Elric likes this.
  10. d10221

d10221 Member

Amplitube + Fender Collection ... to my ears ..hands down best Amp emulation out there.

on a Mac , .Latency is not an issue, 5ms easily achievable. unless you stack too many instances in a DAW or you leave too many 'other apps' in the background
    On a llght DAW like Tracktion, 3 instances run well + a Drum track.

My guess.... unsatisfied Amplitube users are Windows users,
    or it can come down to TONE preferences ?
    if you are in the "overdrive/distortion" camp it may let you down, not a lot of option, and the emulations are OKish ,
    But I'm in the Amp's drive camp so it may be me.
    AT does shine on Amp drive, you have all the required computer power, and parameters to achieve it
    You need to understand a bit how the Tube Amp do the trick, drive the pre-amp? push the power stage?, what cab ?

I liked AT enough to Made buy the iRig UA (not great), and the STOMP I/O .
    the iRig-UA is not great, but a decent USB sound card that works on Android, and lets you go around with Fender Amp in your pocket, how cool is that ...for a toy/gadget?
    The STOMP I/O gets you very close to the real-gear experience.

Tried many other Amp modelers, also own an Modeling Amp, and owned Tube/Valve Amps before.
    I did not tried anything from/above the HX-Stomp price and UP as I wasn't going to buy it
    I did listen to many, many demos of high end gear, and I was never convinced, but that could be the demoer ...

The HX Stomp, on paper, makes lots of sense, and as somebody else pointed out, you can gig with it
    But if you already have the real thing why bother ?

Other Hardware Amp's that caught my attention were
    The Ampli-Fire stuff, they just put the a nice software engine in an specialized computer , great move.
    The Revival drive (missing the impulse response )

The dedicated hardware is a must if you want to preform with it but
    Software is the most cost effective, value for money, solution out there.
    But you have to like, or at least not hate computers.

Pastafarian likes this.
  11. Riffzilla

Riffzilla Member

Right now I'm thinking of trying to pick up a cheap interface (watching a few on eBay, hoping the Apogee Duet 2 stays low!) and see how I go with my current laptop and Spark before I splash the money on a Stomp. I only really use 1-2 tones anyway - low to mid gain 800 and a higher gain Jubilee/AFD sound, both of which I can get with Spark.

Pastafarian likes this.
  12. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

I dont know if was my monitors but I grabbed one of those Apogee units recently to try out and really was not impressed. I only do demo quality stuff though and my monitors are the Gen I JBL 305's. The latency wasnt any better either than my Presonus Audiobox USB 96.

13. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

The files should be located on your computer. They will be called "Name of Preset".at4p

On my Mac they are located in:
    Documents/IK Multimedia/Amplitube 4/Presets

Here are few of mine:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g229c8soft6xfbh/AAAJSJXmnEYtbH3tGZYaMQwpa?dl=0

14. Riffzilla

Riffzilla Member

Why weren't you impressed with it? I've also found a few Focusrite 2i2 going cheap, I've used the bigger Clarett in the past and didn't have any issues..

I did kinda want something smaller amd nicer looking though but not sure if things like the iRig will give me the right spec to avoid latency etc

Pastafarian likes this.
  15. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

I heard zero improvement over my Presonus and the latency was no better when running over 12 tracks. Like I said though the sound quality part could have been my monitors.

16. mmmaslowski

mmmaslowski Member

Hi,

I’m actually pondering switching to a plugin setup; I’ve tested the Archetype: Plini and - tone-wise - it's exactly what I’ve been looking for. I’m thinking going with the UA Arrow and (later, once MIDI-controlled presets have been introduced by NeuralDSP), adding the Morningstar MC6 & ML5 MIDI switch and loop controller combo (the latter to utilize some non-MIDI pedals with the rig). At this point, I would be quite content with just the interface & the Archetype plugin as this would be strictly for home-recording applications.

Thoughts?

Pastafarian likes this.
  17. BCnSTL

BCnSTL Member

Here we go. The old tired trope that using plugins = intolerable latency. That and guys claiming superhuman ability to detect sub 10ms time differentials. Sound travels about 9ft in 10ms. Most DAWs running on a decent computer with a decent audio interface can support ~15ms roundtrip latency. It is a non-issue. As for 'feel' and dynamics - I heartily recommend the AXE I/O - fantastic guitar-specific audio interface. Amplitube is a great amp/fx sim.

Pastafarian likes this.
  18. mikah912

mikah912 Member

I wouldn't be quite so dismissive. As mentioned earlier in this thread, that determination is not always made with a single plugin. Sometimes, you need to stack them to get what you're looking for, and that's where latency can absolutely creep in.

19. BCnSTL

BCnSTL Member

Sure - it can happen. But in 2019 with a decent computer and interface it is a non-issue. Playing guitar through your computer is no-where near as exciting as standing in front of a fire-breathing tube amp. I don't think anyone will disagree with that. Just admit when you don't like the idea of plugins or prefer the predictability of a HW Modeler with physical knobs or whatever. It's OK to have preferences. They don't even have to be rational. ;)

Elric and mmmaslowski like this.
  20. mmmaslowski

mmmaslowski Member

Consider me interested; that’s a nice recommendation for the AXE I/O; I was thinking about the Thunderbolt-based UAudio Arrow - it’s getting very positive reviews, and offers great dynamic range. What are specific advantages that you’ve observed using the AXE?

Thanks!