HX Stomp with expression pedal

sliberty

I've just eliminated the expression pedal from my pedalboard, at least for now, and gone back to a 2 button footswitch. it was connected to the TRS on the Stomp. I also have a MIDI foot controller which can also take an exp pedal, but I haven't tried it there in a while.

The reason I eliminated it is because of the lag and the inaccuracy of setting it's position. I was using it for volume, and I found that there was a noticeable lag between the time I pushed the pedal down, and the time that the volume adjusted. This not only felt bad, but it also meant that I couldn't push it down based on what I was hearing (cause I wasn't hearing it yet).

Is this common, or is it due to my cheap-ass exp pedal ($25 M-Audio)? Is there any benefit in these regard to attaching the exp pedal to the MIDI controller instead? (I'd think if anything, that would react even slower).

-Hawk-

Silver Supporting Member
I use a Mission pedal and haven’t noticed that, though I don’t use it specifically for volume.

sliberty

DOesn't seem likely that it is the pedal since it has nothing inside but a potentiometer. So I am guessing it is the Stomp - but maybe it is related to the parameter I am controlling (level in the output block). I'll have to try it with some other parameter and see how it responds.

brokenvail

Silver Supporting Member
I totally sound like the pedal actually. What you experienced sounds like a dead spot in the travel of the pot. Sometime calibration fixes it and sometimes it does’t. I used to use the big metal boss exp pedals and they had a dead spot. Switch the the fractal pedals and no more dead spot. Some exp have a 10k or 25k pot. The fractal is 100k I think. Fast fwd I used a kemper statue now and I get. Dead spot with my fractal pedal. The Mission Eng exp made for kemper uses a linear pot. So pedal’s throw design and pot value will effect if the pedalBias a dead spot in its travel which is different than lag

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
Dunlop mini hooked up through a DMC Micro multi jack is working great with no lag for me.

Trending Topics