HX Stomp XL?

jdpkeeper

Silver Supporting Member
Ok, I know I'm not crazy, but I can not figure out why snapshots are not changing values between snapshots.
ex. Snapshot 1 - gain on an OD pedal is set to 5,
Snapshop 2 - gain is set to 7.5. switch between the two snapshots and the gain doesn't change value just sits at whatever it was last set at.
I've already did a reset (C+D +UP) my preset names never came back either, did not do any restores.
What am I missing?

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
Ok, I know I'm not crazy, but I can not figure out why snapshots are not changing values between snapshots.
ex. Snapshot 1 - gain on an OD pedal is set to 5,
Snapshop 2 - gain is set to 7.5. switch between the two snapshots and the gain doesn't change value just sits at whatever it was last set at.
I've already did a reset (C+D +UP) my preset names never came back either, did not do any restores.
What am I missing?
Do you have the gain set to snapshot control in controller assignments? If not then nothing will happen.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
Thank you, I've had a helix floor for the past 2 years, and I completely forgot about that step. :facepalm
No worries, happens to the best of us. I spent 15 min trying to troubleshoot why I had minimal output the other day only to realize I had a Dunlop DVP4 still toggled for expression instead of volume, how I had it set up. :)

jdpkeeper

Silver Supporting Member

ColonelForbin

So, got a chance last night at band rehearsal to set up both rigs in stereo. Friggin' AWESOME...

HX XL on my board; and HX on my other board that my buddy uses.

His amp Boogie express 50+ combo, mine a Runt 50 combo. We've been running the rigs in mono with the HX's in the amp fx loops. Then last week I moved my amp off the stand and down to the floor and had my Friedman 1x12 cab with Marshall Origin 50 head next to, so decided to plug in the right out from the HX into the return of the Marshall. Ended up getting out my Empress Stereo buffer+ thing to ISO the line to the Marshall, buffer both lines, and give me clean boost in the fx loops (works great!)

Anyway, that killed the ground hum and all noise; I didn't even need the HX input gate on unless I really wanted it spotless.

Changed all the fx on a preset saved as stereo version of my main preset, and oh yeah...
Ping pong delay; pretty much all the delays in stereo are awesome. Can't wait to update firmware and try the new one too.. Anyway; my signal chain the XL is really simple; and the Marshall works great as a powered slave for the right send; they wired the master volume after the fx loop return, so it's really easy to balance the levels.

Anyway, each board does same basic thing; guitar - pedals - amp; fx loop send to the HX.
I have two of those Marshall Origin heads and Friedman cab sets, so set up the other one with my buddies rig to run him in stereo too. I

Mine goes thru a Mission volume pedal; I use a volume pedal block on the other board and have a Mission Aero expression pedal into a DMC micro MIDI to the HX. That little gadget is epic good! I have it set to toggle between stomp/snapshot on one button, and between stomp/preset on the other. Then long press cycles between util mode, preset up/down, and looper. Looper control on the HX is not great, but with the DMC it's at least useable; with a proper rec/overdub, and stop/play, and no having to hold down to erase.

Anyway, my chain is stereo compressor to stereo modulation to stereo delay to stereo reverb to stereo cali q EQ at end of chain as a clean boost.

I moved the Empress over the Boogie side, to give him extra clean boost.

On mine, I have FS7 to toggle on/off front end compressor, and FS8 for the Cali Q.

Clean boost via the HX in amp fx loop is REALLY potent. Be aware a small boost in the loop means alot of overall volume! Way more effective though; for boosting after my dirt channel.

I'm using a Boss FS-7 TRS footswitch for FS7 and FS8 on the HX-XL, it works with or without power, the lights didn't stay on, so I just got used to it without any lights. I set the back switch to control the front end compressor, I think I use the LA studio comp there? I just tweak the stock setting slightly to allow more signal thru and knock the gain down slightly.

I like stuff like the simple delay; and the 70's chorus. I have a ton of crazy sounding pedals in front of the amp; so I mostly keep that fx loop stuff where I can tap dance my way thru solos. I have it set vertically, so far left two footswitch are modulation, middle two are delay, and next two reverb. I dig using Particle verb for a cool extra verb sound. Gotta try that in stereo..

Thing just works wonders. Using the HX master volume to control your overall rig level.
Hard to beat the HX and a valve amp; but the HX with two valve amps sure does the trick!

Here's the HX board ; pedal train novo 24 I think?

And here's my Friedman board 15x30 with the HX XL

I tidied up the under side recently too! It's looking alot better than when I was swapping pedals all the time.. Love the Strymon power supplies..

Last edited:

ColonelForbin

Hey, does anyone know if this currentl double will power the HX XL; or just the regular HX?
I'd use a Strymon Ojai.

HX Current Doubler Cable
Combines two high current Pedal Power outputs (400mA or greater) to power Line 6 HX Effects or HX Stomp. This cable features two BLACK 2.1mm barrel plugs to a single BLUE 2.5mm plug for use with standard center-negative polarity pedals. Recommended for use with Pedal Power X8, Digital, 4X4, MONDO, or Pedal Power 3 series supplies. Please note that this cable will not combine the voltages of the original outputs. Only the current supply will be combined.
Power Supply Connector:2.1mm Straight Barrel Plug (2)
Pedal Connector:2.5mm Straight Barrel Plug
Polarity:Standard (Center Negative)
Length:18 in / 46 cm

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
Hey, does anyone know if this currentl double will power the HX XL; or just the regular HX?
I'd use a Strymon Ojai.

HX Current Doubler Cable
Combines two high current Pedal Power outputs (400mA or greater) to power Line 6 HX Effects or HX Stomp. This cable features two BLACK 2.1mm barrel plugs to a single BLUE 2.5mm plug for use with standard center-negative polarity pedals. Recommended for use with Pedal Power X8, Digital, 4X4, MONDO, or Pedal Power 3 series supplies. Please note that this cable will not combine the voltages of the original outputs. Only the current supply will be combined.
Power Supply Connector:2.1mm Straight Barrel Plug (2)
Pedal Connector:2.5mm Straight Barrel Plug
Polarity:Standard (Center Negative)
Length:18 in / 46 cm
Yes. That will work.

mdog114

Just picked one of these units up for a small portable rig. Is there a helpful hints thread that can shed some light on the inner workings? The best way to use it?

I seem to grasp the graphic “block” setup but after stepping through a bunch of presets, I’m not sure if I’m hearing some amp modeling and that doesn’t seem to appear as a block.

I have about two hours of time playing with it and I think I get a basic grasp, but it’s obviously way deeper.

jaza69

Silver Supporting Member
So, got a chance last night at band rehearsal to set up both rigs in stereo. Friggin' AWESOME...

HX XL on my board; and HX on my other board that my buddy uses.

His amp Boogie express 50+ combo, mine a Runt 50 combo. We've been running the rigs in mono with the HX's in the amp fx loops. Then last week I moved my amp off the stand and down to the floor and had my Friedman 1x12 cab with Marshall Origin 50 head next to, so decided to plug in the right out from the HX into the return of the Marshall. Ended up getting out my Empress Stereo buffer+ thing to ISO the line to the Marshall, buffer both lines, and give me clean boost in the fx loops (works great!)

Anyway, that killed the ground hum and all noise; I didn't even need the HX input gate on unless I really wanted it spotless.

Changed all the fx on a preset saved as stereo version of my main preset, and oh yeah...
Ping pong delay; pretty much all the delays in stereo are awesome. Can't wait to update firmware and try the new one too.. Anyway; my signal chain the XL is really simple; and the Marshall works great as a powered slave for the right send; they wired the master volume after the fx loop return, so it's really easy to balance the levels.

Anyway, each board does same basic thing; guitar - pedals - amp; fx loop send to the HX.
I have two of those Marshall Origin heads and Friedman cab sets, so set up the other one with my buddies rig to run him in stereo too. I

Mine goes thru a Mission volume pedal; I use a volume pedal block on the other board and have a Mission Aero expression pedal into a DMC micro MIDI to the HX. That little gadget is epic good! I have it set to toggle between stomp/snapshot on one button, and between stomp/preset on the other. Then long press cycles between util mode, preset up/down, and looper. Looper control on the HX is not great, but with the DMC it's at least useable; with a proper rec/overdub, and stop/play, and no having to hold down to erase.

Anyway, my chain is stereo compressor to stereo modulation to stereo delay to stereo reverb to stereo cali q EQ at end of chain as a clean boost.

I moved the Empress over the Boogie side, to give him extra clean boost.

On mine, I have FS7 to toggle on/off front end compressor, and FS8 for the Cali Q.

Clean boost via the HX in amp fx loop is REALLY potent. Be aware a small boost in the loop means alot of overall volume! Way more effective though; for boosting after my dirt channel.

I'm using a Boss FS-7 TRS footswitch for FS7 and FS8 on the HX-XL, it works with or without power, the lights didn't stay on, so I just got used to it without any lights. I set the back switch to control the front end compressor, I think I use the LA studio comp there? I just tweak the stock setting slightly to allow more signal thru and knock the gain down slightly.

I like stuff like the simple delay; and the 70's chorus. I have a ton of crazy sounding pedals in front of the amp; so I mostly keep that fx loop stuff where I can tap dance my way thru solos. I have it set vertically, so far left two footswitch are modulation, middle two are delay, and next two reverb. I dig using Particle verb for a cool extra verb sound. Gotta try that in stereo..

Thing just works wonders. Using the HX master volume to control your overall rig level.
Hard to beat the HX and a valve amp; but the HX with two valve amps sure does the trick!

Here's the HX board ; pedal train novo 24 I think?

And here's my Friedman board 15x30 with the HX XL

I tidied up the under side recently too! It's looking alot better than when I was swapping pedals all the time.. Love the Strymon power supplies..

Looks Rock N Roll!

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
Just picked one of these units up for a small portable rig. Is there a helpful hints thread that can shed some light on the inner workings? The best way to use it?

I seem to grasp the graphic “block” setup but after stepping through a bunch of presets, I’m not sure if I’m hearing some amp modeling and that doesn’t seem to appear as a block.

I have about two hours of time playing with it and I think I get a basic grasp, but it’s obviously way deeper.
An amp or preamp model is a red block. If there’s red somewhere then yes, and if not then no amp modeling.

Artist81

Hi !

Just received my new XL, looks great.

Quick (stupid?) question: do you hear a little noise when lightly shaking the stomp? I tested it cause this is a replacement for a unit who clearly had something "free to move" inside. This is not the case here but something is slightly moving, so I'm asking myself whether I should be wondering about it.

Tested with my classic stomp: I can here something in it too...

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
Hi !

Just received my new XL, looks great.

Quick (stupid?) question: do you hear a little noise when lightly shaking the stomp? I tested it cause this is a replacement for a unit who clearly had something "free to move" inside. This is not the case here but something is slightly moving, so I'm asking myself whether I should be wondering about it.

Tested with my classic stomp: I can here something in it too...
The only noise I hear when shaking it is a slight rattle from the footswitches, although rattle is probably too strong of a word. There’s a little bit of play in how the top the switch sits on the rest, so I suppose it’s just a little noise from that.

Digital Igloo

The only noise I hear when shaking it is a slight rattle from the footswitches, although rattle is probably too strong of a word. There’s a little bit of play in how the top the switch sits on the rest, so I suppose it’s just a little noise from that.
Yeah, I never noticed that until right now myself. I'm guessing it's one or more springs moving slightly within the footswitch housing.