1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hybrid Fuzz Users?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mooncusser, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hi everybody,

I was wondering....
    Is there anyone out there who PREFFERS hybrid fuzz pedals?
    If so, could you share some models, examples, ect?
    Thanks and take care,
    Mass

2. iggs

iggs Member

I wouldn't say I "prefer"a hybrid fuzz but my D*A*M Drag'N'Fly sounds great, it can get pretty raunchy, has that "old school" vibe and is more stable then Ge only fuzzes. Still does not like buffers placed before it.

3. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

I have what I beleive Sean calls "the Dragon" now.It's a Hybrid fuzz from Lovepedal & I love it.
    Plays great with other pedals.Does awsome FF,Tonebender & Range Master tones.
    It also does good OD & boost jobs.
    Just a little tweek of the Blend knob gets me from Page to Black Crows.
    Awsome pedal.

4. stephenyi

stephenyi Member

The McFuzz (not Hot version) is a good hybrid fuzz. I prefer it to the London Fuzz Ge I used to own.

5. mprvise

mprvise Member

Ditto! Just received one Saturday and couldn't be happier so far. It will see gig duty this weekend. I'm still way in the honeymoon phase, but so far I like the dragon just as much as the Eternity. :eek:

6. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I'm not sure if it counts as the same type of hybrid as you mean, but the Hellbilly has germanium for the input stage and silicon for the output stage...

7. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

...that would do it.
    I think the Gypsy Fuzz is hybrid as well.
    You all know I am dying to try one of those out...lol
    Peace,
    Mass

8. drolling

drolling Member

I've got a Retroman Sybil that's basically a Ge fuzz and a Si fuzz in one enclosure - very simple design that allows you to run them alone, blended together in parallel mode, or stacked (series mode).

It's a versatile pedal that can do treble boost, crunch rhythm tones, conventional fuzztones all the way up to pure noise.

I have a couple other fuzzes (Rx Experience/Facelift, Fulltone Soulbender) that don't 'clean up' like Sybil, nor are they capable of squealing feedback - unless you turn them both up and plug one into the other.

My old fuzzes are more like one-trick-ponies compared to Sybil's cool tones no matter where you set the dials. Hard to imagine a more extreme range of useful sounds in a single pedal.

9. retro

retro Member

There are a couple of fuzz implementations I've gotten used to that have altered my perception to this question and therefore my answer.

One is, a fuzz that uses tranny sockets.

So I am able to try any combination of different trannies to shape the fuzz the way I like and therefore not be concerned about whether it's hybrid, Si or Ge.

Another factor affecting my preference is having a bias pot in the circuit.

The B.Y.O.C. fuzz face clone is such a beast for example. And includes some other tweaks like a bass cut mod.

And although not a typical hybrid fuzz, still a hybrid to me. I would have to say I have a definite preference for Retroman's Sybil also.

But I couldn't say I have a preference for just hybrid alone.

If it matters I go for vintage type 'fuzz face' type fuzz tones. In the Jimi camp.