Hybrid or solid state?

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
Without any details, it's hard to give any advice. What kind of music do you play? What sort of sound are you going for? How much power do you want?

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I'd prefer the one that sounded better and better suited my needs.

PercyMJacobs

Sorry haha, I play alt. rock, latin jazz, blues... I play in a church also. I was looking the valvetronix series which are hybrid and a solid state orange crush but I can't decide

Kitten Cannon

Neither.

If you're that budget constrained, get a Pro Jr.

If you need drives/delays/modulation/reverb, just start with the amp and build that part up with pedals. They'll sound a hundred times better than anything built into a Valvetronix amp.

If you absolutely must go solid state, Fender Mustang III or IV would probably be okay... but not much better.

clamflatslim

valvetronix will provide variety.try and find a pathfinder.gets more love than valvetronix.conventional wisdom is that the tube in the vavetronix series doen't do much.when i think orange i think heavy rock and metal.

jds22

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry, I know you didn't ask but I'm going to suggest a used PV classic 30.

Or a new Peavey Bandit.

Both sound really good, are dependable, and are within your budget.

dazco

tube pre, SS power=waste of tubes. SS pre tube power=now you're talking. IMO it's the tube power section where the magic is, and thats even at normal volumes before the output is compressing. Tube pre with SS power is a gimmick. It can be fine, but it's not necassary. But it's not going to have tune tone and feel. Ever notice how many world class players will use SS pedals to get thier distortion but they ALWAYS play them thru a tube amp. I've gotten some great tones in the past with SS gear into the effects return of a tube amp. Never once got anything better than a all SS amp doing the opposite.

PercyMJacobs

Neither.

If you're that budget constrained, get a Pro Jr.

If you need drives/delays/modulation/reverb, just start with the amp and build that part up with pedals. They'll sound a hundred times better than anything built into a Valvetronix amp.

If you absolutely must go solid state, Fender Mustang III or IV would probably be okay... but not much better.

Ok I know what you're saying, I wouldn't chose the valvetronix for the effects, I would go for it because it has a power tube I think... I saw some reviews about the mustangs and they aren't so loved...

Kitten Cannon

Ok I know what you're saying, I wouldn't chose the valvetronix for the effects, I would go for it because it has a power tube I think... I saw some reviews about the mustangs and they aren't so loved...
Okay, if you don't want bells and whistles then I double down on my Pro Jr. recommendation.

The tube in the Valvetronix is a gimmick.

Kyle B

Silver Supporting Member
I've had a couple of the Valvetronix. I still have the VT-50. That's because I've modded it so much I won't be able to sell it for anything reasonable.

Screaming piece of sh*t tone-wise. I spent hours & hours, maybe days, trying to dial in some creamy distortion. Can't be done.
I bought an Egnater recently. Night & day man -- The Egnater was awesome from the first power-up. It's almost impossible to make it sound bad

The effects aren't horrible at all. Not bad really. It's the overdrive... just sounds so digital....

Tube is probably a gimmick as mentioned. It most definitely is NOT a "power tube". It's a 12AX7. It feeds a MOSFET power amp. They run it so tame that the heater doesn't even light up -- The orange glow you see when you look inside is from an orange LED positioned underneath the tube. For real.

Wanna buy it cheap???

PercyMJacobs

I've had a couple of the Valvetronix. I still have the VT-50. That's because I've modded it so much I won't be able to sell it for anything reasonable.

Screaming piece of sh*t tone-wise. I spent hours & hours, maybe days, trying to dial in some creamy distortion. Can't be done.
I bought an Egnater recently. Night & day man -- The Egnater was awesome from the first power-up. It's almost impossible to make it sound bad

The effects aren't horrible at all. Not bad really. It's the overdrive... just sounds so digital....

Tube is probably a gimmick as mentioned. It most definitely is NOT a "power tube". It's a 12AX7. It feeds a MOSFET power amp. They run it so tame that the heater doesn't even light up -- The orange glow you see when you look inside is from an orange LED positioned underneath the tube. For real.

Wanna buy it cheap???

Thanks man! I think the answer for the valvetronix is no haha

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
I use a hybrid like this one (not mine). Is the tube doing much to generate the tone or is it a marketing gimmick? I don't really care. It sounds good and it's programmable and really flexible.

Kitten Cannon

It really nice! But I need more power /:
Where on earth are you playing that 15W wouldn't cut it? 15W on a tube amp is waaaaaaay louder than 15W on a solid state amp.

To put it in perspective, I play pedal steel, which is all about loud cleans, and solid state amps are pretty common. I use a Webb 614-E which is rated at something like 225W (solid state). However, for only a touch less headroom, I can bring an 85W 68 Twin Reverb (tube), but it's just as loud.

Most nights on guitar I'm gigging with a Deluxe Reverb, which is 22W tube. Full 5-pc band, 200-1000 person clubs usually. I never get the amp past 4.

tobereleased

It really nice! But I need more power /:
You'd be surprised by how loud a low powered tube combo can be.

I have two main amps, one is 5W and the other is 50W. The 5W amp is plenty loud - what it lacks in comparison to the larger amp is a bit of bass response. In my playing situation (a church), both amps are capable of keeping up with the rest of the band, including a loud drummer.

Technically, keeping all other factors constant, a 50W amp is only 6 dB or so louder than a 5W amp. A 15W amp is only 6 dB or so quieter than a 150W amp, and a 150W valve amp is ridiculously loud.

I'd be surprised if 15W was actually insufficient for your needs. I would guess that your main issues would be limitations in the tones available - if you wanted multiple channels, clean+dirty or whatever. For the styles you list, however, I would gladly take a simple tube amp, which should be easily attainable under 400 USD. I live in a different country (where amps are generally more expensive) but my lower powered amp was under 400 NZD brand new. The only time it's struggled volume-wise was when it was sitting next to a Fender Twin.

PercyMJacobs

Where on earth are you playing that 15W wouldn't cut it? 15W on a tube amp is waaaaaaay louder than 15W on a solid state amp.

To put it in perspective, I play pedal steel, which is all about loud cleans, and solid state amps are pretty common. I use a Webb 614-E which is rated at something like 225W (solid state). However, for only a touch less headroom, I can bring an 85W 68 Twin Reverb (tube), but it's just as loud.

Most nights on guitar I'm gigging with a Deluxe Reverb, which is 22W tube. Full 5-pc band, 200-1000 person clubs usually. I never get the amp past 4.

Yeah you're right, thanks. I'm to try it the next time I go to a music store!

PercyMJacobs

You'd be surprised by how loud a low powered tube combo can be.

I have two main amps, one is 5W and the other is 50W. The 5W amp is plenty loud - what it lacks in comparison to the larger amp is a bit of bass response. In my playing situation (a church), both amps are capable of keeping up with the rest of the band, including a loud drummer.

Technically, keeping all other factors constant, a 50W amp is only 6 dB or so louder than a 5W amp. A 15W amp is only 6 dB or so quieter than a 150W amp, and a 150W valve amp is ridiculously loud.

I'd be surprised if 15W was actually insufficient for your needs. I would guess that your main issues would be limitations in the tones available - if you wanted multiple channels, clean+dirty or whatever. For the styles you list, however, I would gladly take a simple tube amp, which should be easily attainable under 400 USD. I live in a different country (where amps are generally more expensive) but my lower powered amp was under 400 NZD brand new. The only time it's struggled volume-wise was when it was sitting next to a Fender Twin.

Thanks for the comparisons! I will try one of this prize!

tubetonez

The only Orange amp I've played is the Micro Terror. I played through a friends at a jam once. Then recently I was looking for something to run a talkbox, and got an open box deal from MF for $100. I've since played through it a good bit, and it's a nice tubey sounding amp and gets louder than I anticipated. I could definitely gig with it and a few pedals. Convenient for rehearsals if you have a spare cab to plug in.

Trending Topics