Hybrid pickers question

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by scottlr, Sep 19, 2006.

1. scottlr

scottlr Member

What do you do, if anything, to keep your right hand nails in condition for this style? Mine are quite brittle, and while so far, I have managed to keep them going with constant manicuring them, sooner or later they will shatter! One guy I know says he goes to the nails place and gets 2 fake nails put on his right hand, and they last forever. I am thinking about doing this to see for myself.

2. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I solved the problem by cutting my nails off. It'll take you 6-9 months to get the callouses hard enough to have the right sound but it's worth it in my opinion. I can go back and forth between bass and guitar without worrying about nails clicking, chipped nails, etc.

I've been playing sans pick for almost a year now. Don't miss it much. The only time I have missed it was in playing funk rhythm but after seeing/hearing Reggie Wooten I'm convinced you don't need it for rhythm either. It's just a matter of repetition.

Oh yeah...And one of the big benefits is you get that "wes" and/or Albert King type of sound all the time!

3. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I use fake nails too, the tone is a bit brighter than plain fingers but I like it.

4. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I keep mine cut short for the mello sound

5. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Member

I'm w/Jaz on this one, no nails on the right hand, all finger callouses. Easier to maintain & (imho) a little more control over the tone & technique.

6. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

+1 on bare fingers.

My finger nails would never hold up when I'm gigging a lot -- and once I started playing lap-style dobro the thick strings would just chew my nails right up anyway. The dobro pretty much forced me to start playing bare fingers. So now I keep 'em trimmed and have the added bonus of not having to worry about them anymore. :AOK

I only wish that it had occurred to me sooner.

7. e-z

e-z Member

The acrylic nails and the glue will leave your natural nails more brittle than they are now. There is product I just read about (on the Classical Guitar forum) but haven't tried called onymyrrhe. Supposedly it makes brittle nails much stronger and it is totally natural. It takes sixteen weeks. Here's a link to one place that sells it. I'm going to try it.

http://www.thetetracorp.com/products/onymyrrhe.asp

8. mikeo2

mikeo2 Member

+2 on bare fingers. It did take a long while to get comfortable doing this, but I'm extremely glad I did.

9. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Bare fingers here! I use flatpickpick/fingers hybrid a lot. Thumbpick and fingers for Travis picking.

10. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I tried a thumb pick for a while, when I started playing dobro, but I actually got a lot better once I got used to playing without it. Obviously it's not as loud, but it's not as tinny either.

11. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

I take calcium (did I spell that right) and use clear nail polish on the nails I use. The calcium really strenghtened my nails.

12. tak

tak Member

Me too. I tried keeping longer nails before but it seemed to be a major hassle. After keeping them short for a while, you will build up a good deal of callous that gets a good sound (IMO).

13. scottlr

scottlr Member

Well, I am doing OK keeping them sort of short, but still long enough to get a piece of string. For me, the nail seems to get a sound more like the pick, so I like that better than the bare meat. Sometimes I'll put the pick down or palm it and just use fingers. But the pick/finger seems to feel the most natural for me.

14. gennation

gennation Member

I don't worry about them too much. I just cut them normal early in the week and they're pretty much the perfect length for me by the weekend. Then I cut them again at the begining of the week again. I don't like them long, I like to dig in a little more than just pick with them I guess. And yes, the more you do it you wll get callouses...for a week or so though you can get blisters on a st of fresh fingers. So, stay at it and toughen them up.

15. rhp52

rhp52 Supporting Member

I've found that it depends on what kind music you're playing. For me, since I play a lot of fingerstyle blues, ragtime, and chord melody stuff i need the nails. I also use a thumbpick to get the chunk for bass lines.I agree the tone with nails seems to be more uniform. IMHO

16. jzucker

I don't agree. Have you heard Richard Bornman play? (Fingerstyle no nails). You'd never know he's not using a pick. Very bright and solid attack and very even and uniform. Mine is coming along but not quite where Richard's is (yet).

I play chord melody just fine with bare fingers. For the record, so does Wes, Rodney Jones and Kevin Eubanks... :AOK

17. rhp52

rhp52 Supporting Member

To each his own

18. jzucker

Agreed but what is the point in posting that? My point is that you don't need nails do what the original poster is asking.

19. scottlr

scottlr Member

It's not that I don't like nails vs finger meat. I have been playing for 40 years and although I haven't used my fingers constantly over that time, I have used them, so they are not super fresh ;) I do want to keep the pick, and my observation unplugged anyway, is that the nail matches the pick better. Plugged in and cranked, it might not be much of a difference. But I tend to practice unplugged most of the time. I am finding that just slightly longer than I'd normally have gives just a little bit of nail that I can actually dig in with if I want. I have not been cutting them at all, just filing them every couple of days to keep them the same.

20. 56_Special

56_Special Member

This is enlightening. I always wondered how fingerstyle players with no nails got any attack. If I understand jzucker right, it's callouses. Now I know!

Martin