Hybrid picking

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by topher60, Oct 8, 2008.

1. topher60

topher60 Member

:dudeAnyone recommend a good source to learn hybrid picking?

Thanks, topher60

2. Mita

Mita Member

3. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Listen to a lot of Richard Thompson. You'll either get great ideas on how to use hybrid picking, or quit playing guitar completely in a fit of shame and self-loathing.

4. johnw

johnw Member

Scotty Anderson uses a Herco or other brand thumpick, and his fingers (with his nails, however, which he has "done" by adding acrylic nails). This alows abrupt alternate picked lines, with the thum pick, mingled with fingernail picked stuff. He can, however, play lead lines just as fast using a 3 finger style--thum/index/middle. He is, IMO, easily one of the best guitarists ever, even if his music is sort of "staid", that is, with all due respect, his main influence is Chet Atkins. I can only wonder how a player might play Allan Holdsworth or Frank Gambale kind of music using Scotty's chops. Most guitarists who see Scotty cant think or speak :) for a day or two, and that includes Eric Johnson and Danny Gatton. His hybrid "double stops" are amazing!

5. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

I think Brent Mason could top him IMO.:stir

6. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Oh, practical learning advice... get some regular Travis picking instruction material, and try to play it with hybrid picking. Or even old standbys like "Dust in the Wind". That'll learn ya quick.

The problem I've found with hybrid picking, especially Travis-style, is balancing finger strength. With thumb-and-two-fingers, the primary index finger is well-balanced by the longer/stronger middle finger. But with pick-and-two-fingers, the shorter/weaker ring finger has to balance against the strong middle finger. Tonal balance requires more deliberate attention. Mostly, what I've done is changed what I play... rather than playing Travis-style, I play mostly flatpick-style, and use pick-and-one-finger for melody and rolls when needed. If I need serious Travis picking, I go back to a thumbpick or bare thumb.

7. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I hybrid pick with a regular pick and middle, ring, & pinky. I practiced initially by doing what kludge suggests, playing tunes you already know fingerstyle, use hybrid instead. I also make an effort in the band I am in, that when the other guitarist is banging out full chords clean, or distorted barre chords, I am arpeggiating triads and other chords using hybrid picking to compliment.

8. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Excellent site! The book is also very good, worth every penny. You just have to patiently work through the drills at the beginning of the book if you are not used to hybrid picking with string skips.

Brett Garsed's site is also quite good, with some free lessons on hybrid picking (among other things). Holdsworth, btw, stated that he is not really a hybrid picker. Garsed plays Holdsworth-style lines with hybrid picking.

This is a nice introductory, free, lesson on hybrid picking (with country focus): http://johnmcniel.com/blog/hybrid-picking-101/

I'd say try John McNeil's lesson first, then Brett Garsed's lessons and the Assis-Brasil book when you are ready to take your hybrid picking beyond simple rolls.

9. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

Arlen Roth touches on it in several of his videos.

10. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
  11. Wagster

Wagster Member

Here's a cool site with a lot of nice open string riffs http://www.tallstrom.com/

You will notice that Martin uses a thumb pick.Here's a loose conversion to help convert the finger style notation to hybrid.Have fun and experiment with the fingering

Example:
    P (pick)
    I (middle)
    M (ring)