• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Hybrid Rig questions.....

charley

Gold Supporting Member
If one was to piece together a hybrid rig, which piece do people feel would be essential to have tubes? I am a loud&clean player....

Solid state pre and tube power amp?

Tube pre and solid state power amp?

Everything would go through guitar cabs, fyi.

I'm trying to decide between getting a Twin Reverb preamp with a Matrix power amp, or a solid state pre with a mesa 2:50.....

Opinions please!

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
I think it really depends on the pieces and the tones.

Recently I've run a Wampler Black 65 into the fx return of an amp in order to add a clean option to what is otherwise a hotrodded Marshall style amp, and it sounds surprisingly good (much better than 'rolling down my volume' for clean tones). Pretty sure no one - including my bandmates - were thinking it was some type of 'compromised non-tube tone'. That said, it's still hitting the second half of a tube fx loop and then the phase inverter, and I'm hitting it quite hard, so perhaps that helps.

nnajar

I use a 3+se into a matrix power amp and a pair of 1x12 cabs and it sounds massive. That matrix is a terrific poweramp.

Fndrbndr

I think it really depends on the pieces and the tones.

Recently I've run a Wampler Black 65 into the fx return of an amp in order to add a clean option to what is otherwise a hotrodded Marshall style amp, and it sounds surprisingly good (much better than 'rolling down my volume' for clean tones). Pretty sure no one - including my bandmates - were thinking it was some type of 'compromised non-tube tone'. That said, it's still hitting the second half of a tube fx loop and then the phase inverter, and I'm hitting it quite hard, so perhaps that helps.
Interesting!

Trending Topics